Thursday, June 25, 2009

Out in the Sunshine


I'd had enough of everybody yesterday; flat mates swanning off on holidays, demented mothers, tradesmen who never turn up, work even called and asked me to do a few days next week with end of financial year stuff, you know, as a favour, for god's sake! Ah! Bad to worse! So I grabbed my camera and headed out the door around lunch time. I thought I'd go take some photos of my world, rather than having to fit into everybody else's, something that I seem to be having to do more and more of late. Okay, yes, of course, I am an adult and I can set my own course, granted, but that being as it may, blah, blah, blah... you know sometimes everybody else just seems to be having all the fun and you just seem to be duty bound?

Anyway, it was a lovely day, the sun was shinning.

I like the idea of recording moments in time. I kind of like the idea of graffiti as art. I like the idea of streetscapes, the ones I get to see everyday. I like the idea of a collection of doorways. I so wanted to ask several interesting looking people if I could take their photo, but didn't quite have the nerve. Mostly because I haven't used my camera in a while and I was rusty on the functions. Read, I felt like a bit of an idiot, to start with, to tell you something.

I thought of parking myself on a planter box and photographing the passing parade. I like that idea of people captured unaware, but then I figured in this squeamish day and age, with a bogey man reputed to be around every corner, I'd need the peeps permission, otherwise it was, probably, a good way to get arrested.

As you can see, I'd make a lousy undercover operative. The guy in the picture was really cute, with a really sexy accent, as he chatted on his phone, not that that would have translated. I stalked him, just a little, and nearly got a shot of his hot arse, but just as I had it lined up he turned, probably only looking at the traffic, and I lost my nerve and you can see the result.

After that, I stuck to architecture and flora and wall art, until I wandered passed Readings and then Hares and Hyenas and a good coffee and photography was over for the day.


2 comments:

Adaptive Radiation said...

Someone I know just walks up to people and asks them if it would be ok. He is very charismatic so manages to pull it off.

Another blogger (who has since shut down), used to just randomly point and click and some of the results have been amazing.

FletcherBeaver said...

I'm sure I'd have success asking people, I'm usually quite good at turning on the charm when it suits me. I think most people like it when it’s about them, anyway. I think I might find a good vantage point in future and point and click. Maybe an outside table in Brunswick Street, with a coffee.