Friday, June 25, 2010

People are funny




Beck said to me last week that she wanted to take Monday off instead of today, as it’s her mother’s birthday on the weekend and she asked me if I could work. Sure, I said. Then today we were talking about stuff for next week that we’d get done on Tuesday.

“Am I working Tuesday?”

“Aren’t you going to be here?” She had that look on her face.

I just thought since I was working Monday that I’d take Tuesday off. Silly me. “Oh... I can be.”

“It’s the end of the financial year, you know, I’ll need you to work as much as you can.” Still that look and that tone Beck gets when she is stressed.

“Sure, okay.” I tried not to feel pissed off, but, you know, I was. So you're having your day off, but some how, I'm not. Beck has been complaining about people who only think of themselves all week. It was the end of the day and I left as soon as I could.


Never ceases to amaze me how funny... odd, people can be.


Then I walked out of the front door, putting a cigarette in my mouth as I exited, still fighting feeling pissed off. It was raining quite heavily, bouncing in big drops on the bitumen of Bourke Street. There was a heavily pregnant woman who jumped at the sight of my cigarette.

“Disgusting,” she said at me.

It’s just rude, really. The licence some people think they have. The fresh wind was blowing all around us, what did she think was going to happen? A birth defect because of my cigarette, quite possibly?

You know the type, thinks she is making a grand sacrifice to the world by reproducing, acts like she is the only woman who has ever been pregnant. Me, me, me, me, as pregnant woman so want to do now a days.

Oh, settle down, I thought. I walked passed her and lit it. I waited for her to complain, as I watched the rain fall. I was ready to laugh at her, if she did. But she didn’t and I didn’t look back.


Oh, maybe I was just tired, you know, end of the week and all. But...


2 comments:

The Mutant said...

The two types of people you've just described might be my absolute favourite kinds of people... to picture in stocks in the middle of Fed Square, having mould fruit lobbed at them.

FletcherBeaver said...

Indeed, that made me feel much better about it all.
And sharp sticks, just to scratch the skin.
And coconut cream pies...