Saturday, October 23, 2010

Suddenly, It Seems Like I Am Sneaking Around

We're lying in bed at Sam’s, it's Saturday morning, I'm half asleep, he is playing with his iPhone. He says that Charlie has asked if he can stay for two months, November to January. Sam and I have a mutual friend, Charlie; two randoms connect, four degrees of separation. Sam realised when he was on Facebook. 

Charlie is moving back to Australia after 2 years, he wants to stay for two months to find a job and a place to live.

Not that Charlie knows that yet.

But, the third bedroom is a study?

The penny drops, the cogs start to turn, my eyes open. Or is it something I knew all along, but didn’t want to look at? Charlie's question is the focus? 

Did I tell you, Sam still lives with his boyfriend, Anthony, of four years, but they are in the process of splitting up. I can understand that... jesus, I've been there. I'd never criticise anyone for how long it takes to separate, as I've taken forever myself. Look at Mark, we're still not really split up, although I don't live with him, of course. Anthony travels with his work and is away a lot of the time, it would seem. In the last two weeks, Anthony has been there for one night.

I thought that Sam and Anthony slept in separate rooms, now that they were at the beginning of their break up.

But, where do Anthony and Sam sleep if Charlie is going to take the spare room?

It rained all night. We come out to the car and one of the sun roof drain holes had blocked up and the car was dripping inside with water. Grrr! There was a pool in the passenger foot well. Damn that gum tree in my back yard. It’s cold and wet, as I force wire into the left drain hole to unblock it. Rain falls gently on me and into the car, as I stand on the door frame with the sun roof open working as quickly as I can.

We head off to eat in Hawthorn. The cafe is closed when we get there, something about a festival.

So we go and eat Thai next to Coles, the pink fish and meatball soup that we had in Victoria Street when we are moving the furniture from mum’s house. Fucken yum!

Then Sam leads me up Glenferrie Road, I don’t know where he is taking me, I don’t really care, the sun is shining, I haven't window shopped in eons, it feels nice. And it's just the day for it. 

I’m not surprised when he leads me into an Apple Shop. Of course, what else. The new MacBook Air. He thinks I should by one. Yes, my lap-top is out of the Ark, I know that. Yes, it is big and heavy and old, but, it still works just fine. I just don't see the reasoning in this day and age when the planet is faltering under too much human consumption to buy something new, just because it is shiny and pretty and fast, when what I have works just fine.

We also look at bikes in the bike shop. They are selling an entry level racer for $699, I should buy it, rather than spend the $1500 on the other bike I have picked out. It’s just for exercise, it’s not for racing or professional bike riding, or anything like that. It is just to haul my fat arse around the bike tracks so it isn't so, um, er, fat any more.

We drive to Studley Park, The Boulevard to go for a walk. It’s a glorious day, one of those perfect Spring days. We run across the ovals, one chasing the other. It feels good to run. We are heading to the convent when we think about the car. The stupid car! We can’t just wander as far as we feel like, because we have to come back for the car. We should have taken it home and then walked down here.

“See, we need bikes,” I say.

He agrees.

We head back to Sam’s place. He puts on rice for fried rice and we head to the supermarket. We watch more Harry Potter, but I've watched more than I realise. Sam cooks great fried rice. I again have trouble staying awake watching teev, it seems to have become a sedative for me. I think it is the combination of the comfy couch, the blanket engulfing us and Sam’s legs across me keeping me warm as toast. 

He says bedtime around 11pm, when he catches me falling asleep for the millionth time.

I'm thinking about Anthony, as I slide into bed.

"So, you and Anthony still sleep together?"

"Yes."

“Does Anthony know I sleep here in this bed with you?”

“No.” 

Suddenly, it just doesn’t seem right. Sam should come sleep at my place, if we want to sleep together. Me sleeping in his and Anthony’s bed behind Anthony’s back, seems like I’m going behind Anthony’s back all of a sudden. It just doesn’t seem right. I wouldn’t like it to be done to me.

He turns out the light, we are drifting off to sleep. It’s only 11.30pm, though, still time to do any number of things on a Saturday night.

I tell Sam that I want to go to my place, because "this" doesn’t seem right any longer. He says go to sleep and stop being a drama queen. 

"It's not like he is going to come home."

"That's not the point."

"Come on, let's go."

"Now?"

I insist.

We head to my place and get into my bed.


No comments: