Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Slippery Morning

Sam and I catch the tram to work, as it is raining. It has been raining for days. What’s with that? I guess, I shouldn’t complain, you know, the drought was only a short time ago. How quickly we forget, but that’s hard when you are cold and wet.
We head off down to the corner shop to pay some bills... okay, I have to pay some bills, while Sam gives me one of his looks, which I skilfully interpret as, why don’t you have internet banking? He’s funny. He waits dutifully and doesn’t, actually, make a comment about my lack of 21st century technology. Good for him, considering what a techno head he is.
I’ve got him well trained.
Ha, ha.

As we headed out of the post office, Sam announces that we will catch the first tram that comes to the cnr, from whichever direction. “Okay?”

One is our usual tram, which we don’t normally catch, as we normally walk, which takes us to the front door of my office, two blocks from Sam’s office and the other tram would take us closer to Sam’s office.

“Okay.” As I agree, I see the tram – that we don’t ever catch – arriving at the corner. I feel I have been conned. I've got to be on my toes with my boy. Early in the morning, no coffee, the maths is easy.
You see, we usually walk to my office and Sam walks the extra distance to his. That’s how it usually works. Okay, always works. However, just lately, there have been a couple of mornings when Sam has headed off to work, on my days off, while I have stayed in bed, waving him good bye with kisses and, yes, smug looks. On these mornings, he has got to walk the way he wants to and alarmingly, it has given him all sorts of ridiculous ideas about equity and fairness and give and take on the walk to work. Translation – it seems I will be getting my way no longer. And we all know we hate that. Damn! He should never have been let out of the house unsupervised, clearly… I think as I’m heading off in the wrong direction towards the city, on the wrong tram, trying not to comment, as I was hardly occupying to superior position. You know, I always get my way, blah, blah, blah.

He looks pleased with himself, as he waves me good bye up the William Street hill.

I can't get the smile off my face all the way to work.

I'd go off him, I know, if he always let me get my away.

2 comments:

Oliver said...

Yeah, but seriously... you should get internet banking.

FletcherBeaver said...

I know... I'm thinking about it seriously, it's just that I used to get a lot of cash to pay my bills with