Friday, July 13, 2012

Lemon Tea Smells Glorious

Sam was sick, he had the flu. I went over to his place in the early afternoon and picked him up. I didn’t get up until late. Lovely it was too. I sat up in bad last night when I got home and watched a movie.

His lip was turned down in sickness, he was clearly unwell. He felt so unwell, that he took a day off from work, so, you see, it must be true. My boy wouldn’t take a day off on a whim, no he wouldn’t, unless, maybe, there was crystal meth involved. Ha, ha.

I cooked him Jewish Mother's chicken soup. A whole chicken boiled with vegetables making soup. I keep adding salt until it tastes like chicken and not like hot water? Don’t be afraid of the salt. Yum, it is lovely once it is seasoned correctly. When it is done, I pull the chicken flesh from the bones and toss it back in. Some people swear chicken soup cooked this way has magical healing properties.

I toasted sour dough olive bread and lash my butter and Sam's with olive oil.

We watched True Blood. I love that show. Sam, not so much, although I can tell he is getting into it, despite his denials.

Poor baby is sick. I wrap him up on the couch in a blanket and light a fire and make him lemon tea.

I tell him not to tell Shane he has the flu, as Shane is so self focused he's likely to immediately refer back to himself and not be happy.

Shane tells us he has big news. He is going to live in London at the end of the year with Tulli. It is all I can do not to cheer. I try not to ask him to define "the end of the year." I try not to count the months out on my fingers.

Tulli was always going back to London at the end of the year so it is hardly a surprise. I don’t comment on the fact that Shane is up rooting his life to live in another country with a guy he not spend a whole lot of time with, has never lived in the same town with, let alone the same house.

I kind of like that sort of act. Live be free. I think that can work. No, it can work. Sometimes. Cross your fingers.

“Yes,” I say. “Good idea. Everyone should live in London once in their life time.”

How about that? An end in sight. And we all get out of our current situation with our dignity in tact. We all get to move on relatively unscathed.

Shane will follow Tulli to London and life will settle back to normal again.

Then I can try and work out why I went off him quite so spectacularly. I’m still not really sure why. I mean there are a lot of small things. His selfishness. His self focus, his continual “back to me.” His lack of smarts. His “follower” tendencies.” His pretentiousness. But they are not new, I have always known those things about him.

I suspect it is being sacked. I think it is stress around work, or the lack there of. I think it is the stress around my mum. I think it is losing Mark and Luke.

No comments: