Thursday, July 26, 2012

Love Those Vampire Hours

Sam and I met on the corner La Trobe and Swanston Streets and ate at the Indonesian restaurant nearby. I had Mi Goreng seafood, one of my favourites. Sam had the same. I got the chair facing the front of the restaurant, and therefore the view, I was faster than him, lately I’ve not been. I should never have shared that particular trick with him. I sometimes wonder what the other diners think when they see us jostling for the best seat. He usually wins, now he knows the game. He's got a greater hunger for it, I just like hanging with him, whichever chair I get.


We went to Big W afterwards to look for a new doona cover for my bed because it is… um… easier than washing them, you know. Ha ha, I don’t change them often enough, it is true. Sam complained as we crossed Swanston Street saying that he didn’t have time to go shopping, looking at his watch.

“Oh yes, it is a different story when we are going to JB Hi Fi, Dick Smith or…”

“Harvey Norman,” said Sam. He laughed.

“Aha. To look for some gadget for you.”

“Okay.” He smiled.

We looked at the doona covers but none of them were much chop. I wanted dusty purple, or deep crimson, or dark green, or at a pinch dirty blue, but they were all lollie, or cheap patterns that looked like they were straight out of Kmart, or um, Big W. I hate that.

I text Jill, the consumer queen, from Big W asking her where is the best place to go to buy a doona cover, when Sam seemed to lose interest and wanted to leave. Actually, that isn’t quite true, we both lost interest at what was on offer at Big W. Jill, at least, is addicted to shopping, in particular bed linen so, I felt, she was my girl. I was secretly hoping she’d buy me a couple and bring them around without me having to lift a finger, other than for a pen to write a cheque.

Actually, apparently… grimace… mention writing a cheque and it is the equivalent of our grandmas talking about a wireless.


I spoke to Jill when I got home. She laughed when I told her about the vacuum. How I thought about it sometime after Shane had left the other night for D’s. 

“Oh yes… ha, ha, I’ve got one of them, oops… ah, yes, the back of the car.” Grimace. “He, he. Silly me.”

Jill gave me a couple of online names to buy doona covers… apparently, there would be no mentally compromised deliveries. Pity.

graysonline.com.au

auralinen.com

Of course, Jill would know. I knew.


I told her about Shane and Tulli and Shane going to live in London at the end of the year, which solved our living together issues. 

“He’s going to change countries and live with someone he hasn’t even lived in the same city with, let alone the same house.” Raised eyebrows. (not that Jill could see my eyebrows, of course) 

Jill said, “the relationship probably won’t last till the end of the year so don’t worry too much about it.”

Not worry about it? I drew in sharp breath and said, “Don’t say that, I’m counting on it.”

Jill laughed.

“It has to last at least long enough for Shane to give up his job and his car and everything else and move out of here and make it to London… then Tulli can dump him.”

We both cackled like witches.


I settled in for the afternoon on my laptop with the open fire burning and… um… well, as per usual, I don’t know now exactly what I did, but the day slipped away unnoticed. Again. Lovely. Gone.

How long have I got to go? Groan. Forty years? More?

And before I knew it, it was time for the finale of Masterchef. Last night. Over. Handsome Andy (Allen). What do you think the likely hood of me ever seeing a picture of him dressed just in his undies? Oh, never mind, it was just a thought.

Audra was out on the entre. Then Julia and the lovely Andy had to make a main course that was quintessentially Australian.

Matt Preston said the following that I liked,

From Byron Bay to Broome, St Kilda to Kings Cross, give us the taste of this great southern land.

Poetic, I liked it. Andy won with an interpretation of a fisherman’s basket, getting a 10, no less, from one of the judges.

Then Andy was 6 points ahead.


We should chat here (Skipe rather than instant message) at the moment until mountain lion is released tmmr, messaged Sam. I can't get iMessage for mac, it's coming tmmr.

Why? I asked.

Because the iMessage u use is beta and tmmr mountain lion released.


It looks ugly, Julia’s dish

What do you mean?

Julia’s dish looks ugly

Oh, the desert, not the message?


Andy will win

They asked Andy what he was going to be doing after this show.

Marry Ben, go for gay marriage, fight for gay marriage with Ben, messaged Sam.

Fuck Ben, I messaged at the same time.

Lol, Sam


Oh, I should have cooked my dinner before this time of night... but I didn't want to be cooking during Masterchef, I didn’t want to miss any.


Ugly little girkin, messaged Sam

Andy would have a pretty gherkin, I replied. 

I can picture Andy’s… um… gherkin. It would be handsome like him.

He should win and “I thank MasterChef for bringing me Ben.”

lol

And it’s magic that the family now know he's gay.


He’ll win. Andy will win. It will be around 7-8

Yep, she didn't get six points more then him


That’s what he says to Ben… all breathlessly, give it to me please.

He’s WON!!!! He’s won already. It won’t be 7, or less than 7 and he won already.

It can be a 7, he still wins

And it's 9 points. BEN BEN, where's Ben? To the FRONT! 

He said "f***! and there's no beep.

He didn't mention Ben... I think the producer said can’t make it too GAY… but the camera man cheeky... wow! $50K is lots

Oh. julia got $15, happy ending


Oh damn, I knew I should have cooked before now… as Sebastian is coming over, apparently.

For? cooking?

Nah… just to poison the air.

Shane went to his room to talk to David who is having a blue day, oh something about her hip, so it is all back to her today. Odd that a “back to me person” would call another “back to me person” for comfort? One would assume that each one of them wouldn’t be able to stop talking about themselves long enough to even think about the other person’s problem.

Shane ordered from Coconut Palms for the second night running.

I cooked risotto after Shane had disappeared to his bedroom. I didn’t want to cook earlier …, so I had to wait for him to have his dinner before I could prepare mine. He went to bed when he got home and didn’t resurface until after 8pm, when I heard him talking to Sebastian about him being hungry and that he couldn’t wait any longer for the unreliable Sebastian to turn up. So, then there was the possibility of Sebastian turning up as I started to cook my risotto.


10:15 PM

did they look after you babe?

10:32 PM

poor poor nana me

10:35 PM

what are you doing babe?

10:35 PM

why am i been ignore?


I have just cooked my risotto, you are never ignored

Really?

I am just stirring rice

That’s a very late and unhealthy dinner

I know... but Masterchef went for too long, silly me, I should have cooked before hand

You see, no plan

I know

Bloody Apple… doesn’t even wanna take my $21 for mountain lion.

Bitches! What are you doing?

Try to spend $21... bitches at Apple.

I'm watching free love and sex on ABC2, Dawn somebody.

Lots people in twitter have same issue. Too popular, the nude?

All nude

But can’t see the guy’s dicks

It’s all about a reporter who is actually joining in. No, you won’t see much as some of them didn't even want it filmed. It is the biggest free love commune in the world in Germany, of all places. In a wood, or should I say, in a vood.

Slut!

No, not a slut, I said. She was nervous… beforehand.

I mean people there

No, not slutty... it is freedom… the opposite to our hung up world

I see

Do you know that we are becoming so conservative and soooo hung up about nudity and sex… online there was a gallery featuring actors who have stripped for the movies. It turned out the gallery was actors who had gone shirtless in movies. Somehow men going shirtless now equates to nudity. It is so bizarre, our world is going backwards.

And, of course, you no it is guilt. Guilt over what the older generation, who are now waggling their moral fingers, did. Or less likely, wanted to do. No, it would be what they did.


Shane didn’t appear again, not even to say good night. All I saw were all the lights he’d left on from his bedroom to the kitchen had been turned off. Maybe David drained him of the will to live.

Sebastian didn’t seem to turn up either, although Sebastian doesn’t come out and say hello to me any longer, not exactly sure why? He’s had a plank up his nose since the “birthday fiasco” and I could care less to sort it out.

My bacon and asparagus risotto was lovely.

I stayed up until after 2am watching Ally McBeal and Dave Letterman. Vampire hours, it is just so easy. The night is dark and long and suddenly it is hours past mid night. Not a fucken care! And the world closes in and it seems so small and the black envelopes us and we are held in stasis noir.

 

No comments: