Thursday, February 06, 2014

Relax, Nobody Had to Die

The sun was milky, hazy, soft and diffuse this morning. There were lots of cars on the road, who can say why? Some mornings it can be busy, some mornings it can be empty as far as I can see down the Victoria Parade hill.

Today it was busy. A veil of morning light covered the ski-slope of a road, making the concrete look like mother of pearl, my bonnet, it even covered my windscreen, driving into it made the traffic lights stand out, red, yellow and green, as though through a fog. So many traffic lights now a days, we seem to have gone traffic light mad this last year, or so.

I picked another car to sit behind that had a chick in a habib driving at 2 kph behind the wheel. Oh Jesus! (Or is that Oh Allah!) Fuck it! I roared around her. 


Once I was ahead of the pack, The narrower street stretched out in front of me empty all the way to the river. I nudged the speed over 40 kph. Oh, who am I kidding, I nudged it over 60 kph. There was nobody and no one on the street at all. And while I have embraced the slower speed limits more recently, I guess, deep down I still don’t think the way to save recalcitrant pedestrians is to slow down the automobiles. The answer is to educate he pedestrians but, as we all know, that is the more difficult option, and difficult options are, um, er, too difficult for the modern politician. Good god, the more difficult option may well impinge on a modern politicians three year plan, er, term.

It is true, I have embraced driving slow because this nana state, namby pamby, bunch of wet behind the ears scardy cat excuses for current day human beings seem to need it that way and our blame-somebody-else mentality isn’t going to change any time soon. So I am now embracing the slow lane, but… some days you just have to say fuck it!
I’m bored, so bored. I don’t have anything to do and nobody seems to care. I have a week to go and in that time I have to teach somebody about the work I have been doing. I don’t really know where it is to go from here, as the HR director doesn’t seem to know what he wants. I feel like I am going to escape out of (name of the company) by the skin of my teeth. 

“Where did we get to with the org charts?”

It is a question I should know the answer to. Should care enough to be able to answer? I admire people like Shayleen who can be interested in this stuff. In work stuff, like it actually means something. In HR. Good for her, she is a star. No, she is. I mean it. She will go right to the top.

But, I am working for you guys and I need some instruction on what you want and just lately that has no been forth coming.

Apparently, my boss, the HR Director blames everybody who has left the company for the mess he has to deal with. So, I and resolved to that being my fate. And I only have to hang on for another week.

Yay! I’m done.

It is a hot summer day. You know, comfortably hot, 32, 33, nice. Not ridiculously hot.
I walked to Victoria Gardens to get lunch. Sam is in Tamworth, so he is not here cooking and consequently no lunch is being prepared for me. Sad face. I wanted something different for lunch. Subway? No. Pies? No. What? Schnitzel? Pork dumplings? I don’t know. A muffin from muffin break? Why not? No. I got sushi, as per usual. I got tooth paste. Sam took the toothpaste and he told me to buy a new tube. So, shrug, I did.
When I got back I was sweating. I sweat easily. I’m a sweater. My sugar levels were dropping too and I was starting to shake. The two cute Asian boys were in my seat again in the kitchen, again. Fuck them! I went back to my desk. Fuck them! I didn’t want to spend lunch at my desk. 

My head spun. Grrrr!

My shirt was sticking to me and I needed to cool down from the walk to the shops. It seemed too hot out side, but I had no choice. I headed out to the table with the umbrella over it.

The two girls who talked incessantly the last time I sat outside arrived at the outside tables at the same time I did. Am I to be spared nothing? I shrugged. God? What moron ever thought there was a god. The belief in god will be a psychological condition in one hundred years, I have no doubt about it. These yabbing bitches and the idea of a loving god are incompatible. I contemplated going back inside, but to where? I was really hungry! I gritted my teeth and shook. Then I felt the fresh breeze blow, and I sat down defeated. Just relax. I decided just to relax and just sit outside with the gasbaggers. Maybe, they won’t so bad. I looked over at them, their mouths flapped as I held that thought. They were the embodiment of ordinary, nothing-going-for-them girls. I was sure they talked shit. I took my shoes off… and breathed out.

It was okay. I was not forced to kill them. I didn’t have to take my chop stick and shove it through one of their eyes to make a point.

They muttered their nonsense and I could barely hear it. They sounded like an annoying fly buzzing around me somewhere in the distance.

I laughed. I removed the cover from my sushi. Clearly, I grimaced, I was the one who was being hard to get along with. 
I split my chop sticks. Everybody else was clearly quite content in their worlds.

Don’t you hate that?


No comments: