Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Sun Will Come Up in the Morning



I hadn't written anything about the Orlando shooting because I didn't really know what to say. And because so many people were writing about it so eloquently, I didn't really think that I had anything to add. But a friend of mine said he was disappointed by the lack of response by his gay friends, of who I was clearly one. Something about a lack of solidarity...


The sun will come up in the morning.

We may all be somewhat diminished and we may all have to find a new way of living, quite possibly. We maybe overwhelmed by what has happened. We may be shocked, or stunned, or speechless when we meet that new day. And that is okay. But, we will move passed this. Our memories and our love will survive what has been done to us. We may limp, we may struggle, we may not know quite what to do. But we will get up… we will brush ourselves off, and we will look them in the eye… as we have always done.

I promise you this, I would take the shirt off my back to wrap your wounds. I would hold you so you can stand. And I would do my best to get you to safety… and love… and light.

The sun will come up in the morning.


Christina Leinonen… you broke my heart.

No comments: