Sunday, June 26, 2016

I like Footscray

We drove to Footscray and ate Vietnamese lunch in the main street opposite the market. I like Footscray, it is like Fitzroy when I first moved to Fitzroy, before Fitzroy got respectable, before Fitzroy was over run by apartment living wannabies who think they have discovered some great new suburb for the first time, never really understanding that their very presence is changing what Fitzroy used to be, watering down its essence and turning it beiger and beiger with each new arrival. Aren’t we lucky we’ve got thousands of new apartments and a world class ice cream shop. What the new arrivals and the tourists never see are all the amazing, eclectic, interesting people who have left. The things you lose. I grew up in Camberwell, but moved away when I could, not wanting to spend the rest of my life there and now Camberwell is coming to Fitzroy.

No comments: