Friday, June 23, 2017

Not This Tired Old Internet Scam Again

4pm my phone rings. Nobody really calls on my home phone any more, except scammers and thieves. The government now collects our metadata, but they don't seem to be able to stop the criminals calling in.

“I’m calling you from the technical support department from your internet provider…”

Oh please, not this tired old scam again? “I’m sorry,” I say, “from where are you calling me?” (just making sure I have heard correctly)

“Telstra. I’m calling you from Telstra. There is a problem with your computer, which I can help you with…”

“I’m not with Telstra…”

“You are, you just don’t realise that you are.”

“I’m sorry…”


“Telstra owns the phone lines, so they are your service provider, even if you don’t realise they are,” he says. “Are you in front of your computer? It will take no time to fix. What are your log in details?”

These guys are very confident, I have had them argue when I have told them they are scam artists. I have even had one guy tell me once that I did have the internet connected, after I told him that I didn’t have the internet connected at my house.

“Mate, one day you are going to be caught by the police and you are going to be put in jail and guys bigger than you are going to take turns holding you down and fucking you up the arse…”

Dial tone.

That seemed to fix it.

1 comment:

Victor said...

I like that response better than just hanging up. Can't wait to use it.