Sunday, May 06, 2018

Feeling the Difference

It is cold this morning, as I cuddle up with Milo for our morning routine on the couch. I can feel winter in the air, I can feel it coming.

You know, I don't mind feeling cold, maybe I am a bit weird. Maybe? Or hot, for that matter, in the summer. I like feeling the seasons. I like feeling the difference.

Milo doesn't care, he has a luxurious blue coat, even it he does snuggle close to me.

We don't want to feel the difference any longer. We switch the heating on the minute the temperature drops below 21 degrees. We switch the air conditioning on the moment the temperature rises above 21 degrees. We don't want to feel anything, is that conclusion to take from this?

This is all at a time when our quest for insulation from the world and the increased power needed to fulfil that need, is further poisoning the planet on which we live? Are we all in a collective state of denial?

I pat Milo's thick fur, his coat seems thicker. I sip my coffee and gaze out the window at the morning sun shining on the trees in the back yard.

The sun is shining on the stack of fire wood I had delivered a month ago in preparation for the winter. I can’t wait to have open fires. The burning of fire wood puts the same amount of carbon into the air that it would have if the wood was left on the ground to rot and disintegrate back into the earth. That is my environmental justification for having an open fire. I must google that fact to confirm that it is true.

No comments: