Sunday, September 03, 2023

A Moment Of Panic

I semi panicked. I thought I was dying. My shit came out black. I mean, really black. Black like tar. Black like I had never seen it before. Isn't that a sign of blood in your stools. What did that mean? Damn! Bowl cancer? But I'd done bowl cancer tests, and recently. And they were clear. Doctors miss stuff every day, though, I thought. Should I sue? OMG! I guess it meant cancer of something? I'd have to make an appointment with my doctor. Go for tests. I wasn't usually one to react like this, but I had just been reading about it, how bowel cancer was striking people at a younger and younger age. They thought it was lifestyle. Too much sedentary behaviour. I lay on the couch too much, when I should be up and about. My head was spinning. You know, my sensible self told me it was probably unlikely, but the possibility was there. I mean, how many years did I smoke? Too many. And it was a major cause of bowel, liver, kidney, bladder cancer, cancer, cancer, just think of those warnings on cigarette packets. OMG! Am I going to die?

Oh, it was early, and perhaps I was in a weakened, just-woken-up state. It was a hell of a thing to be confronted with so early in the day, you know, before all of your sensors have had a chance to switch on.

I walked into the kitchen. And, it was there I started to laugh, laugh at myself, laugh put loud. There on the kitchen bench...

I had completely forgotten that the only loaf at the bakery of day old bread - well, I only toast it any way - a few days ago when I went to get bread was charcoal activated Vienna loaf, which I'd been having for my breakfast for the last few day.

I chuckled away. Of course, I never believed it for a second, I thought, as I switched on the coffee machine and grabbed the loaf to make more toast for my breakfast this morning.

I'd switched to peanut butter for my breakfast, instead of my usual Vegemite, as you just can't apply Vegemite successfully to black bread. And the peanut butter colour was a rather nice contrast against black.


No comments: