Friday, April 13, 2007

Be Nice to Your boy... boyfr... Mate, Chris

Ah yes, I'm a bad... um... er... boy... er... boyfr... er...mate. Yes, I am. Over the weekend, I was so wasted on green that I didn't answer any calls from Manny. I didn't answer calls from anyone. I just deleted them Tuesday morning, as I left for work.

I hadn't heard from Manny since. Nothing, all week.


I was taking my car in yesterday morning to finally get serviced, the weekend problem coming back from the airport, prompted me too. So, I headed out and hopped in, hoping like hell there wasn't anything too majorly wrong with it, as I hadn't driven it since. Firstly, the central locking didn't work, the door just unlocked with the key, no whir, just a click. Damn, I thought, fearing a major electrical malfunction. I got in and turned the key and nothing, absolutely nothing. No errrr. No click. Nothing! The dash board stayed dead, not even a glimmer of light.

Fuck! I'll just have to go to work. But I can't just leave it here, what's going to happen? Maybe the good fairy will come along and weave magic? Fuck!

I was meeting with the C.E.O. at 9.30.

Fuck!

So, I opened the bonnet and looked at the battery - truthfully that is, practically, the extent of my skills - and wouldn't you know it, the battery terminal connection was hanging half off. I had a new battery put in a few weeks ago and they must have left it lose. Yah! I got a spanner and tightened it, but it wouldn't stop turning. I tried again. Still wouldn't. I took it off and had a good look and the bolt that tightened the two ends was snapped in the middle. The idiot battery man - tall, dark and handsome. Looked good in overalls. Nice arse, if I remember - must have broken it. Yah for incompetence, again, I thought, as I marvelled that it had kept going for this long.

The car then started, no problems, as you would expect... hope.


Manny had said last Friday, Just get back in it and head over here. I called him, yesterday afternoon, to say that he was right, even if I didn't know what was wrong with it at the time.

"Oh, long time no hear," said a boy, clearly with his feelings hurt.

"You were right about the car," I said. "Nothing major, just the battery terminal."

"That's great," said a very subdued Manny.

"I'm sorry I didn't call you back," I said. "That's why I'm calling now."

"Well," said Manny. "I was going to wait to see how long it took you."

"I'm sorry."

He laughed, kind of pleased. "What did you do all weekend?"

"You know what I did."

"Smoked pot?"

"Yes."

"Did you do any thing else?"

"Nah, went to the shop for cigarettes."

"Me either," said Manny. "When do you get your car back?"

"Friday," I said. "Tomorrow."

"Come over tomorrow night?"

"Sure," I said.


No comments: