Thursday, April 19, 2007

Missy and Manny

Missy has a big lump on her back. I told her she was a little bitch because of it. More fucking money! My finances haemorrhaging, at the moment, big time. Doesn't rain but pour, hey? She's cranky because I'm not feeding her until we return from the vet. Actually, where has she gone? Shit! Gotta go and find her. Half an hour till we leave.


An hour, or so, later...

Missy is now in hospital having her abscess lanced. She didn't go quietly, meow, meow, meow, all the way. Even a chuck under the chin, through the bars, at all the traffic lights didn't help calm her. Poor Missy. I'll pick her up tomorrow. Of course, it was decided that she should be micro chipped, as I have never had that done, another fifty dollars, then I can register her with the council, something that hadn't occurred to me until tonight. Not sure why?


Manny got depressed, yesterday and went to the pokies and blew all his money, so, of course, I bailed him out.

"I want to ask you for a really big favour," he said, first thing in the conversation. "I've got myself into a jam."

Oh, here we go, I knew what was coming next. That boy? Bloody hell! I so wanted to say no. But what do I do when he hasn't got any money for food for two weeks? Let him starve? My rational, thinking self says yes, let him. If I keep bailing him out, he'll just keep doing it. Won't he?

But, he hasn't done it for a long time.

I said to Rachel that I was lending him money, again, waiting for her to scold me... my yardstick. But she said, Poor Manny, what can you do? She likes him a lot.

He came into work and got $500 from me.

"Thanks, you saved my life."

I waved him good bye and kind of suspected that I was, maybe, doing the opposite. That boy? I should slap him rather than give him money.


He called me tonight and said cheekily, "Come over and I'll work off some of the debt."

"Ha ha," I said.

"I've shaved." Cheeky laugh. Always a good thing for a Greek boy to do before...

 

No comments: