Thursday, April 05, 2007

Big Smile

I went to the dentist, today. Actually, it's the hygienist, for my six monthly clean. Stupid me, I was late for my appointment, almost three months late. I think Stella was cross with me. That's the hygienist. I'm bad at keeping appointments, especially my dental appointments.

You see, I've never had a filling, which, up until a few years ago, I used to be very smug about. No, no I don't get decay, my teeth are strong, no rot here. Big, pearly white, smile. The dentist, it's a breeze. I'd go intermittently.

But then, a few years ago, not having had a regular dentist, since my uncle, who was my dentist for all those years as a kid, retired, I started going to the dentist/hygienist.

Yes, Mr Fletcher, your teeth are lovely, white and strong, but, er-hem, your gums are a mess.

What? I said. The smug dentist-smile wiped clean off my face. What do you mean?

You have gum disease and we are going to have to work at saving your teeth. You must come every six months.

What? Why? How has this happened?

Smoking, Mr Fletcher. Smoking. How many do you smoke a day?

What do you mean? I said. I thought the only thing smoking did was make your teeth go yellow or brown?

And ruin your gums, said Stella.

What? Why didn't someone tell me?

So far, I have lost one tooth and now, because I let my appointment run out to nine months, instead of six, which is why Stella is cross with me, it looks like I'm going to lose another tooth.

I'm an idiot!

The dentist came in and looked at my x-rays. "That tooth is stuffed," he said. "There's good bone left on one side, though. Oh well, send him off to the periodontist - at $500 an hour - maybe she can save it, but I doubt it."

I'm not brave enough to say just pull it out. Am I going to spend another $500 just to have the periodontist confirm, the already, second opinion? I'm going, though, I see it as teeth karma, for not getting to my appointment in six months.

I'm losing beautifully, white, healthy teeth because the bone that keeps them in place is being ruined by my continued smoking.

Again, I'm an idiot!


2 comments:

RRP said...

oh that sucks!

like you, i've been lucky to have nice pearlers but haven't taken much care of 'em.

i've paid for that though, since my cousin dentist had me on the chair last time for more than an hour of cleaning and whitening. i would have sworn at her if i could!

happy easter, mister fletcher!

FletcherBeaver said...

Happy Easter Ryan