Friday, November 21, 2008

Australia

Parts of George Street blocked off for the Australia premier. It's just got rubbish written all over it - with Nicole's frozen face and acting style to match and Hugh's gay sensibility - the only thing I see when I look at Hugh is John Travolta's dick in his mouth.
I saw a couple of seconds of shorts, Nicole had her standard, monosyllabic acting style happening... and the accent, oh, the accent, I couldn't stop laughing.
I'm sure the cinematography will be fantastic, but really, all Baz had to do was turn the camera on for that.
I'm sure I'd rather have my fingernails pulled out with pliers than sit and watch Australia.
I guess that means I need to see it to be truly critical. Oh the pain!

Here's what an English critic wrote...
Baz Luhrmann's choice of Nicole Kidman to star in his latest epic movie Australia has been savaged by a British newspaper columnist.

Melanie Reid, writing in Rupert Murdoch's Times newspaper, describes as a "big, big mistake" Luhrmann's decision to select Kidman for the role of Lady Sarah Ashley, who inherits a remote cattle station shortly before World War II.

Reid says Kidman is an immediate turn-off for female cinemagoers who feel she is "one of the most overrated actors" in the world and who has "been the kiss of death in practically every movie she has starred in".

The newspaper critic also slams Kidman's acting ability based on her previous starring roles in films including Cold Mountain and Eyes Wide Shut.

"Kidman is exquisitely accomplished at being awful," Reid writes.

"She can't act.

"Instead she drifts around films like a lost porcelain doll, looking frozen, brittle and vapid, staring at the camera with her oh-golly-look-how-I'm-looking-interesting blue eyes.

"Australia the country deserves redder blood than this."

Australia is due to open in Britain on Boxing Day.

No comments: