Saturday, January 21, 2012

Funny What We Think

As I stood on my balcony this morning, feeling the temperature and surveying the street for life, the beanie capped, kaftan wearing, bearded Muslims were gathering in the street across the road by two cars, one parked legally, one pulled into the driveway of the property where they live. I watched them as they pulled plump, fully packed United Airline travel bags from the back seat of the legally parked car and slung them over their shoulders, as they clutched their prayer mats, transferring their booty to the other car. I guess they wouldn't, exactly, call a prayer mat booty? 

I laughed at the sight. 

How many explosives could you fit in each of those airline bags, I pondered? 

Could there be more of a clichéd, fear-provoking archetype of modern day, even down to the airline bags being United? I guess, the first thought rattling around in my brain is the result of “politics by the racial trump card,” which the conservative governments are so good at exploiting. And eleven years of John Howard has left us all scarred in that way.

What would the gullible people be thinking with those visuals? Are those “report a terrorist adverts” still on teli? Isn't this what we are supposed to think? Be suspicious, for the good of national security? Well, I guess, if the fear factor had been successful they'd be reaching for their phones, to call the agencies that now have an amazing raft of laws with which to protect us. Lucky us. 

"Oh yes, myate, I'd like to report a terrorist." I'm sure said with that nasal drawl the likes of which is more prevalent in, shall we say, the hotter states. "They had airline bags... They were carrying 'em... taken 'em from one car to anofer... no, that's all... yes, that's what they were doing... No, nufink else... just that... don't you tell us to report anyfink we see that is suspicious... so I'm reportn it... no, nufink else... fanks."

Meanwhile the men in white dresses having completed their pow wow in the middle of the street, packed their prayer mats and their explosives... er, luggage into their car and drove in the direction of the airport... um… er north up my street.

I laughed. What a stereotype.

I'm sure it was all very innocent, although we don't know, do we? I guess even writing this just buys into the ridiculous stereotypes that have been fostered for political gain.

It just made me laugh, that's all I'm saying. 


No comments: