Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Last Word

Yesterday, I originally wrote a piece about the views of that old tennis player, Margaret Court. But, you know what, I've decided that I, actually, don't care enough any longer to give her views oxygen, so I took it down.


Whatever she wants to believe, go ahead it is a free world and free speech is alive and well.


I believe that science has now explained the existence of the world completely.


She's entitled to believe in the great big space man who sat on his cloud and said aberacadabera. Good luck to her I say.


This is what I thought as I lay in bed last night in the wee small hours worrying about the world. Okay, I was worrying about me and not the world, you got me. This is what I was going to replace yesterdays post with. Okay, so I haven't taken down the original post. What the hell, I thought this morning.

But, you know, I know not to write pieces like that again, it is a waste of time. There is no use talking about, or to, the terminally deluded. There is no use contacting these people on any level, it is a waste of time. Diplomacy only works to a point when you are trying to negotiate a peaceful resolution with the enemy.

They have god on their side. End of story.

On some level, it makes me sound like I am trying to convince the fundies and the cunning "don't-mention-the-c-word" Christians, of something, which I am not. I'm really happy for them to believe in whatever they want, virgin births, space ships, pillars of salt, girls should be commended for having abortions, or not, whatever. I just want them to stop trying to convince me, and the rest of the world, to believe in what they believe in.

Instead, we need to speak to everyone else, which is what we are doing, which is the reason we are achieving equality, which is the reason we are obtaining the rights that everybody else in society have always had. Not special rights, the same rights.

So, there you go.

Post script...

I couldn't leave it without, my favourite Christian quote practically of all time. This was said just recently, when a well known don't-mention-the-C-word Christian commentator was asked why she doesn't come forward and make her Christian beliefs known.

"Well, if I tell them I am a Christian, I risk them not listening to me."

Here endeth the lesson.

Amen.

No comments: