Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Rusty Brain

I went and did some work for my best friend Jill. I was setting up a spreadsheet of costs she had incurred in the last marketing campaign she's been working on. OMG! Talk about a rusty brain! I've nearly forgotten entirely how to use Excel. I've been using a Mac for the last six months and, of course, she had two PC laptops, one which was running old versions of Excel and one that was running new versions of Excel, so I had to think twice how each version of the application worked. AH!

Then driving home at midnight, I kind of thought that all of that, all of what I just did, is something like the reason I don't want to work. Who cares about your quotes and your orders and your spreadsheets, how did I settle for such a mundane job as figures and spread sheets in the first place? There must be something more interesting, more engaging, more creative that doing that  for the rest of my life. How did I settle for some boring 9 to 5 ' er?

Oh course, I have just sat on my arse for the past seven months and have pissed away the opportunity to do something else. I've done nothing... and loved it. I say it is an emotional reaction to being sacked.

But look at what I could have done?

Can I have that time back now? Please?

Bugger it!

Is 11am too early for a wine?


2 comments:

Adaptive Radiation said...

Never mind the rusty brain as long as you haven't become a fat slob (which is what I reckon would happen to me if I quit my job).

FletcherBeaver said...

I battle with weight every time I quit smoking. I am in a "fat" stage at present, but I haven't put any extra weight on since I've been off work.
But I have stopped smoking though