Friday, August 04, 2006

On My Team

You know, years ago, when I first started work, after school... no, I think it was when I first went to uni, I worked with a guy who was a temp staff replacement manager. When he used to call up other companies, he'd so often say,

Just put me through to someone intelligent, will you, that's all I ask.

I was so shocked in my naive, know nothing, private school educated way.

If the person didn't prove to be intelligent, he'd chastise them and ask,

Now, I asked you at the beginning of this call for someone intelligent and you stepped up quite falsely.

Can I speak to someone else... with a brain, this time.

I couldn't believe this man. He was an eye opener to me. He'd chuckle away afterwards, as I stood dumbfounded.

Mark my words, he'd say. Just ask for someone intelligent, there are precious few of them, you can't go wrong.

He was smart, he was cutting, he was funny, come to think of it, he was probably gay.

Now, some fifteen, or so years later, I think I'd employ Graham as my P.A. if he was still available.


3 comments:

RIC said...

[I assume P.A. stands for «Private Assistant»]
Each one of us has his own way of dealing with the issue. Mine isn't so good, I guess, but I just can't help it. For me, even worse than the lack of brain is the voluntary ignorance (which in the end is more or less the same). When I was still teaching in a public school, I used to wonder (far too often) how some guys and some chicks had got their degrees... No reasonable explanation up til now... There will never be one, I fear...

RIC said...

Sorry for asking again: have you checked your email lately?

FletcherBeaver said...

No, I haven't checked my email, but I will right now.