Friday, December 11, 2009

Drive or Fly?

Should I drive to Byron Bay on my own?

I've pissed around, trying to make up my mind and now I don't have much choice in air fares, Xmas and all that. Originally, I was going with Shane, but he's not going now. Off to fucken Perth, apparently, go figure. Actually, I shouldn't be like that, it's the one Australian city I haven't been to. The most isolated capital city in the world... you can die with your secret, sweetheart.

I like driving and I haven't done a big country drive for ages. It sounds like fun. Romantic. (on my own, does that equal masturbation?) Ah, the country highway at dusk.

Leave Melbourne when I want, leave Byron when I want to come home. No pesky timetables, leaving times, delays. Fat arses in nylon suits pushing you into queues. Load the car up with cd's. Stop where I like. Perve on the yokels and there will be yokels, nearly Queensland, after all, which, in itself, makes it tempting. Do what I like.

And I'd have a car in Byron. I'm not staying quiet in Byron, I'm staying in the hinterland and it would be good to have a car up there.

But, what is it, 2000 kilometres and two solid days of driving, or even three. I've got friends I could stay with in Sydney, although, I'd rather be inclined to avoid Sydney all together. I'm just worried that I'd get half way there and I'd think,

This isn't fun any more. What the FUCK was I thinking?

But, I could just stop some where if that's how I felt - see new places, people, things I'd never see normally.

I don't know? What to do? But I haven't got too much time to think about it, as I have to book one of the few remaining, expensive fucken $800 air tickets, if I want to go that way.


5 comments:

Gabriel said...

let me know if you head down to sydney, would love to catch up!

FletcherBeaver said...

Hey Gabe, I'm really thinking I'm going to avoid Sydney altogether

Gabriel said...

exactly how i feel. except like you i feel caught in this place where i am unwilling to be extorted by the outrageousness of holiday season fares. and i can't drive. nice LOL have fun wherever you choose to be!

x

FletcherBeaver said...

As much as I'd like to see your smiling face :)

Gabriel said...

that's sweet and the nicest thing someone has said to me today.