Friday, July 23, 2010

We Need To Talk

Yesterday was my day off. I set my alarm and got up early, as my doctor's clinic was on "appointment on the day" bookings only, as a number of the doctors were away, mine included, so they weren't making appointments. You had to call first thing and grab whatever available appointment there was.

Yeah, good onya, I thought.

I just wanted to get two scripts renewed. I suggested to the receptionist that these could be done in a spare moment and left at the desk for me, there fore I would not, in fact, need an appointment, but she was having none of that.

SMS. 09.00. Good morning babe, sorry for yesterday. I’m on my “Man period” :) How are you? – Sam

Should I answer? Should I make coffee first, before I even contemplate answering.

I decided not to respond straight away.

Maybe a little coffee. Certainly, some muesli. Perhaps, a shower even.

I was still barely awake, coffee just made when Sam called and hit me with that famous line, We need to talk. (Although, the earlier attempt at the apology was good to see.)

Admittedly, my first response to this was, You know what, I'd rather throw myself under the 86 tram than to have to talk, talk, talk, talk, endlessly fucking talk... the equivalent of cardio paddling our relationship back into some sort of newly breathing husk of it's former self.

I told him to come over after work. Shane's in Queensland, we'd have the house to ourselves.

Then I went to see my mum. She didn’t want to go to the same cafe today, so we headed up Doncaster Road, heading for the country, as she'd asked for. We had barely got onto Doncaster Road when she said let’s find somewhere around here, this is nice. We stopped and bought her some hair colour at one of the discount chemist shops, just passed Shopping Town, scouting for a cafe. The weather was awful and there didn’t seem to be any cafes close by. She is easily tricked, now a days, so I just drove back to the usual Belmore Road shops a different way and she was happy. We ate in the cafe across the road from the one we ate at usually. I drove back to the nursing home the long way around, I'm pretty sure she didn't catch on. I don’t think she did.

I was home by early afternoon.

SMS. 15.43. Hey cranky pants :) I’m going to the doctor @ 16.45, which means I should be home about the time you get there, but if I’m not, I won’t be long – Christian

SMS. 15.44. Hm, are you okay? I cya tonight – Sam

SMS. 15.46. I’m fine, just going to be treated for stress caused by a certain someone in my life – Christian

SMS. 15.47. Seriously??!! U freak me out now – Sam

SMS. 15.47. Big smile.

SMS. 16.14. Are you okay? – Christian

SMS. 16.15. No, I’m freaked out because u freaked out (wink) – Sam

SMS. 16.16. I’m not freaked out – Christian

My doctor’s appointment was at 16.45 with Tom Wilson. It didn't last long, just two scripts and a flu shot.

Just as I pulled up into the lane way next to my house, Sam text me. Literally, as my wheels rolled up the driveway from the road.

SMS. 17.34. Are you home yet? – Sam

SMS. 17.35. Yes, just got here – Christian

Then I saw him walking along G. Street, next to the pub, and I smiled and I felt good, just for seeing him.

We have to talk first, of course. He lays out his accusations. I tell him he’s a drama queen.

He says he was hurt by my decision to smoke pot and my decision to go away without him on the weekend. He says, of course, he wants to smoke pot with me, but he thinks that would not be a good thing. He doesn’t think I should, he says I go through a door into another world, when I do and he doesn’t like it.

I tell him that I felt guilty about going away without him, but he doesn’t know Tim and Nicholas and that it was organised weeks ago.


We eat Indian. We chat and make fun and joke about not being able to choose the dishes from the menu. I tell him we’re going around to the shop in person then – it’s literally – just around the corner, he raises his eyebrows and says really, as he pulls his jacket on. There does just seem to be he and I as we laugh on our way around to make the order face to face.

We watch television in each other’s arms.


2 comments:

The Mutant said...

Ack - I think I'm turning into one of those stupid emotional train-wrecks.

Read most of the post. Loved it.

Read the last line. One big fat tear rolled down my face and splashed into my desk.

Damn you and your ability to emote!

FletcherBeaver said...

Ah, you big softy