Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday Morning



Sam is still in bed asleep, when I come downstairs to discover we have no milk and no coffee beans. Bugger! Yes, of course, I could have gone to the supermarket, it is in my street after all, however at this point I had no coffee beans and no milk. I looked into the grinder optimistically to find ground beans, and probably enough for a coffee for me.


I kind of hope Sam would stay in bed long enough for me to drink the coffee and then for me to head to the supermarket to get more beans for him, and milk, of course. (and probably cigarettes, but don’t tell him that)

I regretted not grabbing my car keys, as I gathered up what I needed, as I left him sleeping in the bedroom. I immediately chastise myself for contemplating driving to the supermarket. Oh, it’s not that I’m feeling particularly lazy, I just want to be quick.

The rubbish is piling over, so I head out to the bin with that as my coffee is boiling. It is a lovely day, the sun is shining. Why am I the only one who empties the rubbish?

I pour the coffee into the biggest mug I can find. No, not because I’m greedy and want to keep it all for myself, but because there is a large cup worth of coffee in the pot. My eyes are still not open completely, or so it feels. No sooner had I poured the hot brown liquid into the biggest mug, when I hear a “chink.”

What was that? I gaze down at my cup, nonchalantly.

Suddenly my coffee starts to pour out all over the floor, the cup had had what they love to call nowadays a catastrophic malfunction... in other words, it had cracked.

Momentarily, I stand there and watch my coffee drain away all over the kitchen floor tiles, like someone pissing. Er? What? Nooooooo! Then, I realise I still have the coffee pot in my other hand with it's lid open and I simply reversed my hands, so the coffee cup is now above the coffee pot and dribbling back in into my macchinetta.

I save most of it.

I am pleased.


2 comments:

Adaptive Radiation said...

I assume the kitchen bench was clean (or at least I hope it was)?

FletcherBeaver said...

no, I mean yes, I mean, I caught it all in the cup... no bench involved