Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Busy Busy. Ha Ha. Ho Ho.

What a beautiful day. Hot and sunny. I went for a walk to Victoria Gardens, alas it was to buy cigarettes. I had to quit again and I nearly made it today, but at lunch time I suddenly had this overwhelming urge to smoke, bad me. I was nervous about the work I have been doing.

It was very hot by midday, and I was sweating when I got back to work. It was hot with a blue, blue sky, but also with a breeze. It was a perfect day, really. It would have been perfect if I had a Greek Island behind me and the Mediterranean in front of me.

As I walked back passed all of the lovely old Richmond warehouses there was a huge pair of shoes lying in front of one of them. They were huge, kind of comical, legs with shoes lying on their side.

It wasn’t until I got back to the office that it occurred to me to take a photo of them.

Rats!

My job is so easy, amazingly so. I tried to have a meeting with my boss last Thursday to review the work I have done, thus far. It has been long overdue. In fact, I haven’t had much to do for the last week. Longer. My boss was away for some of those days, in the last week. I’ve been filling in the long days with very little. My journal, mostly. Oh, did I say that out loud? Anyway, my boss has been hard to catch up with. I don’t know what it is “they” think I have been doing. I stretched it out as long as I could because, quite frankly, no one seems to have been concerned about what I was doing. But it is boring not to be busy, of course.

I spend most of my day emailing Sam, backwards and forwards. He he.

I have been given a very specific role and I have done it, don’t get me wrong. I have done what has been asked of me, but I can’t proceed any further without my boss answering a few specific procedural issues. I can’t help but think it is the easiest job in the world.

Anyway, last Thursday morning I asked him if he wanted to talk about it. “Yes, I do. But can we do it after lunch.”

“Sure.”

So, I was waiting for him to say let’s go through it. Then there were dramas in the afternoon and he didn’t seem to look in my direction and say, “Let’s do it.”

Friday he was in Sydney.

Well, today, as we did the round table talk thing about what we’d been doing in our weekly meeting this morning, he responded to what I said I’d been doing with, “You were supposed to see me last Thursday but you didn’t come and see me.”

Oops.

So, today I stalked him and made sure we had our meeting today.

“Sure," he said, "but can we do it this afternoon.”

“Sure.” I was a bit nervous as I know how hard I have been working.

I got to see him in the afternoon. I gave him two options that I had prepared for him. He loved what I had done. He was happy with the easiest of the options. He gave me a couple of things to be added to the work. He is now gone for the rest of the week. The couple of things I have to do now I should have done in a day. Easy. So again, what does he think I will be doing for the rest of the week?

Still, I’ll be gone when the assignment is done and I won’t be there when they have to update the project themselves, so I guess I’ll never get found out.

I’ve got three days to include a head count formula.

The truth is, as Cathy has told me a couple of times, the department was a very unhappy place and they were all threatening to resign, essentially, due to poor management from my boss. When I came in and did my first contract unbeknownst to me this was the state of affairs. I was asked back because I was competent… and, surprisingly, because I was funny, a breath of fresh air is how Cathy (my other manager) described it. I think mostly it was the competent side of me that they liked the most, but happy me had something to do with it.

I thought that was kind of nice. So, it is a finance/therapist kind of role that I am doing. Ha ha.

I guess what it tells me is that I probably need to stop being slack and get myself a full time job, rather than faffing about with contract work.

We ate rice noodles with pork belly and bok choi. Yum, yum. We watched all of the channel 9 comedies – The Big Bang Theory, Two Broke Girls, Two and a Half men. Then I watched Q&A in Mumbai when Nana S went to bed. I was in bed before midnight.

No comments: