Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Are You Sure You Are Gay?

The bulldog was put out in his kennel and I was just heading off to bed. I couldn't think of anything to write, so I was shutting down the day. The boyfriend had headed off to bed ages ago, (Do you like that, The Boyfriend?) we all know how he likes to tuck himself into bed early like someone's old aunt fucking Agatha.

Then the exboyfriend skyped me and we chatted. Mark. He is back in Hanoi. He and Luke left on Sunday. He says it is very pleasant there in the mid twenties but, of course, it is heading into winter and not out. So, it will be getting colder and not hotter.

I'd already spoken to another exboyfriend earlier today. Anthony. He went for medical tests last week and his doctor's receptionist called and asked him to come in. He thinks he must be dying of prostate cancer, even if he is, probably, too young for that. Of course, that is not promised, but it is still unlikely. He also had cholesterol and blood sugars. I cheered him up by saying he was most likely diabetic and he'd better get himself in there before he has a turn. The best would be high cholesterol, out of those three, I'm thinking, a course of pills and down it comes. So, I've heard.

My brother, sister and I have cholesterol a bit on the high side, but we all have very high good cholesterol too. So, I take fish oil tablets. I'm very on-trend. Ha ha.

Buddy must have heard me and he barked from his kennel, so I let him in again. Then, I was just taking a moment to think about the day.

I told one of the girls at work from another department that I was gay today, before I've told my own department. It is kind of weird to be going through that again. It is kind of odd that it is something we have to do over and over again. There doesn't seem to be an end to it.

I'm out to everybody and have always been. One of my favourite lines from a previous job was when one of the old receptionists sidled up to me and asked me very earnestly.

"Are you sure you are gay?" she asked me very seriously one day.

I remember thinking, what kind of question is that. "Yes, very sure," I said. And without thinking too much about it I added. "I've had it confirmed on numerous occasions."

Her eyes widened and she smacked my arm and laughed.

I'm not sure how this job got away from me. It was a temporary job that developed into something more permanent, of course. I don't know why, but I didn't really think about it and no one has really asked me about my private life, directly. I don't know how that happened? I guess they talk about themselves. 

I don't tell my contracts assignments that I am gay, I guess I got out of the habit.

It just came up today. P and I have been discussing food and restaurants. She seems to eat a lot of the places Sam and I eat. Today I was heating up Japanese curry for lunch. She guessed it was Japanese. She said that I must really be into food to be cooking Japanese Curry and I responded that I have a boyfriend who likes to cook. She didn't care. We discussed a few other things and then she'd heated up her food and she was gone.

Let's see how long it takes for one of my team to ask me.


No comments: