Friday, March 06, 2015

Mean old 21st Century Business Practises

Sam messaged me during the morning to tell me he had been retrenched. My poor baby. They had a meeting at 10am. He thought his job was safe, he thought that they needed him. He was shocked when his name was read out.

He came home half way through he day. He met me out the front of my work. We read his letter together sitting on the step out side my office.

He was upset, as you’d expect.

Sam and Buddy met me after work, we walked home together.

I didn’t got for a walk after work, apart from the current turn of events, my feet hurt yesterday and I thought I should have a rest day. I have been walking for an hour every night for weeks. Headphones on, off I go.

It was curious timing Sam getting retrenched, just as I'd paid off my mortgage. We were planning a European vacation this year. Two steps forward and one step back. Why can’t there just be a happy forward trajectory, why does there have to be the yin with the yang?

Although, Sam had paid off his mortgage last year, so I am guessing we are in a better position than most.

He was stoic, though, much better than me. I'd be pissed off and upset and sad and take a couple of months off plotting revenge on everyone just to get over it. He had his resume updated and he'd applied for two jobs online before we went to bed.

He's a cool calm and collected IT professional, where I am would be writer - I wish - masquerading, badly, as a finance type... who is more interested now a days in his poetry blog than profit and loss.

No comments: