Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Sun is Shining Softly on the Ground

I woke up. Bing! I looked at the clock, by my bed and it said 6 something. I had a piss, sat like a girl, as my head spun back into orbit, then went back to bed. I tossed and turned, but I couldn't go back to sleep. Damn! Saturday morning, time to sleep in, I thought. Even if my days are all the same, I thought it anyway.

Everybody has started smoking again. Of course, not David, as he can't smoke a joint without feeling paranoid. But, Shane is smoking again. I guess, a relationship breakup will do that. I guess I didn't confirm that Shane and Matt have split up. Matt can't make Shane number 1 priority ahead of his business.

Shane was asleep on the couch, when I came down. He looked cross-eyed as he got up and went to bed.

I headed outside for a smoke. It's a gentle morning, the sun is shining softly on the ground. There is a gentle breeze.


I got to thinking about Tom, sitting there in my wicker chair, not sure why? Not sure why I was thinking about him today, that is. David would say, it was because Tom was there with me. I wish I could believe that stuff, it would, probably, make life easier. It's been a year, Sept 1st, since Tom died. I had the coolest best friend and he just slipped away, just like that. Now a year has passed. It bought tears to my eyes. As I sat there, with the gentle, cool breeze blowing gently across my wet eyes, I thought of him.

If I'd known in 1990, when we met as pups, that I'd have him for eight good years, followed by ten lousy ones, well, for him, anyway, maybe I would have held him a little tighter, maybe I would have told him I loved him more often, maybe I would have appreciated a truly, great friend a little more. I love you Chris, he used to say to me all the time. Maybe, I was a good friend. Maybe, I wasn't. I don't know now.

The sun shone in faint pools on the ground. The wind blew the leaves in the trees, so they rustled and shimmied and danced.


No comments: