Friday, May 01, 2009

May Day

Off to the country. Out along the freeway, in the slipstream of everybody else getting the hell out of the city, fast, furious, door handles in alignment, all lanes are full as the freeway sweeps around to the airport turn off. A mass of red tail lights in front of me, beside me, behind me. Gone!

I'm not the only driver now who ignores the ridiculous new 80 kph speed limit, there is a line of us, bumper to bumper, accelerating up the Keilor Park Hill. Two of them are P platers. I shake my head. At least I'll only be fined.

My sunroof starts to filter in the crisp, clean air, so I know I have left the city confines behind. I wince as I remember I'd said to my ex-bf Lauri, I'd meet him at Sircuit. Oops. Too late now. Besides, that's what ex-bf's are for, tormenting. Nothing can spoil our relationship now, I think. The two of us have already made a good fist of that.

The fog comes down, somewhere near Gisbourne. My driving lights are good, European and made for such things, so I can accelerate up the hills, through into the clear, night air, like a plane breaking above the clouds. It’s like flying in the crisp, fresh air high above the cotton wool.

The hills look like sleeping dragons in the dark.

The freeway stretches out in front of me, as the wind whistles on the windscreen. Duffy sings the 60's almost as well as Amy. I'll soon be there.

 

No comments: