Sunday, August 26, 2012

I Made Muesli in the Afternoon

We are awash with dope. All the inmates are partaking. Is that a celestial line up, the planets forming some sort of ordered pattern (of stones) there by exerting its power over our basic instincts… read weakness?

The sun is shining. It is a beautiful blue sky day.

Shane and Tuli are high on crack… and quiet hidden in the shadows, lurking at the periphery, shadows never seen. Just a gust of air to tell of them being.

That may also have been a feature of their relationship?

They have a week off.

Mark and Luke are home. They leave me rolling joints for breakfast. They’d deny it, almost certainly claiming that I am a first class pothead and it takes so little to influence me, any of us.

I stand before you, your honour, and present the evidence, eight months with no smoking, the moment Mark and Luke gets here everybody falls off the wagon.

Splat!

I had to go buy tobacco for joints, we were out of fags, it was my first priority. I looked in the bathroom mirror and what I saw wasn’t salvageable with just a plash of water, and I was straight in that shower, without a second thought.

It is amazing what motivates you?

I’d already smoked the joint that I rolled at the end of the night. Sam remembered it.

It was lovely being scrubbed and dressed and put together out in the day light walking some where with purpose in the lovely honey-warm Sunday morning sun… a bit stoned.

Whoosh!

I have been walking around to that shop for twenty years, as long as some kids have been alive, I thought, in the unusually quiet morning on Gertrude Street. Twenty years, as long as twenty year olds have been alive. Their entire lives, I have been constantly walking the same path. I wondered if I should feel sad?

Then, when I got to the shop, as if to highlight this very point, they had moved the counter back to its original position that it was in when I first moved into the area.


Mark 12:30 PM
mornin fletchy

Christian 12:48 PM
morning m

We walked down to Victoria Street and ate Thai soup. Yum. Sunshine and soup.

We went to Woollies in Victoria Street. Don’t you hate going to a supermarket you are unfamiliar with? You never know where anything is, despite Woollies claiming that all of their supermarkets are laid in the same way. (or was that Safeway?)

I made muesli in the afternoon. I like making muesli, it’s like getting your hands into the dirt. It feels raw. Going back to scratch. When I tip the rolled oats into the bowl, it looks like virgin soil, looks like a barren field. Apricots are first, diced into cubes. Small amounts of apricot adds to the hue, weaves into the fabric, rather than taking over all together. Then it is pepitas. Then processed bran. Add the sultanas. Plenty of sultanas. Heavy on the sultanas, they are cheap and good for you. Finally, pistachio nuts, cut in half.


Mark 5:10 PM
oh what a lubby lubbly dayee

Christian 5:50 PM
It was a lovely day here today too

Mark 5:51 PM
well that's always nice... sunny skies

Christian 5:52 PM
sunny skies

Sam cooked Pork Belly.

Big Brother. I think, I think, that Ray is the cute one in the house. Now, that either means the standard of men aren’t to my liking, or that Ray is just really cute, because he is not my type usually. He looks good in his undies. He’s got boyish enthusiasm and a handsome face.

It was just me and Sam. And a fire. And the lights turned down. And the cat.


No comments: