Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Walking Dead?

I woke up at 9am, 8.50. I had woken up with my alarm at 7am, to lie in bed listening to the radio until 8am, with three alarms going off at various times, but I must have fallen back to sleep. Clearly!

I felt so stoned walking down X Street this morning. Thick headed, light sensitive eyes, creaking, maybe I had over done it last night.

The walk to work usually airs out the brain, marching into work clears it, even a head ache.

But this morning?

Good I was clunking.

9.15 as I am heading down the street. The end of the street was getting closer. Please, please tram do not just sail passed as I get to the end of the street, not this morning. I crossed over Victoria heading to my tram stop. As I got to the platform I looked down the hill and could see a tram just about to arrive. Yay!

Please don’t be there! I’d left my phone at home so I didn’t actually know what time it was. Please don’t be there. I turned the corner of the office and her seat was empty. Yay!

“(bosses name) won’t be in…” said rat-faced (HR girl’s name).

Tell me the brat had died… “Oh?” concerned face. Always sticking your nose into everything, always has to be the fixer. HR to her sensible panty liners. I gazed at (HR girl’s name)

“She has to take her sick child to the doctor, she will be in in an hour or so.”

The first email said no barista this morning. Will this day ever end! I’m going to get a coffee. I might just walk back to Collins Place and get one of those pineapple muffins of which I am so fond. I’ve got an hour, after all. Let's hope there is a queue at the doctor.

She had left me an assigned task. Great.

Got the muffin.

Got the coffee.

Did the work.

Read the internet.

Just when I predicted she would be in, I started some filing. A few minutes later she walked in.


I ate Indonesian with Sam.

“You have red marks under you nose as though you have a cold. You got a cold, baby?”

“The sniffles,” he said.

Really, I thought. I don’t remember you having a cold.

Or, let’s face it, they were the type of marks you’d get from sniffing amyl.

(bosses name) told me in the afternoon that she had phoned Jack when I was in Brighton and told him, pretty much, that she didn’t care who the temp was, as long as she had one for September. She was just calculatedly looking after her interests, she was just making sure that she got what she wanted. Fair enough. But, it made me think, I’m just a temp and I shouldn’t get above my station.

Just in case I got to feel too warmly about myself.

I made tea and headed to my room.

I had pot to smoke.

I watched Big Brother.

Shane and Tuli went out.

I smoked pot.

I made baked beans and toast.

I smoked pot.

Anthony called. I gave him short shift as it was cold in the kitchen.

I made more tea.

I turned the light out at 1am.


No comments: