Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Job In Hand Is Worth More Than A Job Promised

I was asked today to work longer, at my current assignment. I was to finish the end of January, but they want me to work longer, on a week to week basis, while they interview new people for the role. Miss maternity leave has just confirmed she won’t be returning. They don't know when they want me to work till. 

“Is that okay?”

I said yes. What else could I say? I wasn’t expecting them to ask me that, I didn’t have any time to think. I was looking forward to finishing in a few weeks, I wasn't entertaining about any other possibility.

And I heard myself saying yes. Yes?

So why did I say yes?

Cate asked me later when we went outside to see how hot it was. “Why did you say yes? I was watching you as Cathy asked you and it was evident to me that you wanted to say no.”

“I don’t know.” Shrug. “She kind of sprung it on me.”

“Do you want to stay?”

“Not really,” I replied. “If I am going, I’d actually rather go, move on and find a new role.”

“You should tell them.”


“I know.” My head spun. The sun beat down. It was like an oven out there. Rats, I thought.

No comments: