Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Hot Week Is Baring Down

Sam rearranged the bedroom to fit the air conditioner next to my desk, so it was out of the way. I was still asleep, practically. 

“Ra ra ra ra, all go! Do, do, do”

What, it is Sunday? My eyes hadn’t opened yet, I was like a newly born puppy. What are you doing? I pulled the doona over my head.

Sam insisted on buying an air conditioner for next week and the heat wave. I told him it was a waste of money and that he was being a baby. Wasting the world’s resources, sending the human race to its demise and all that. Sam still wanted it. 

We got the top of the range model. I don’t know if it was that Bunnings is a huge cave of a building, or that we didn’t really know what we were doing, but what looked like a perfectly reasonably sized machine seemed to double in size when we got it to the car. By the time we got it to our bedroom, it had turned into a power station from the Yarra Valley. I wanted to take it back and get a different one, but Sam was determined.

So, first thing this morning, he made it work. Good for him. Lovely, out of the way.

 

What a glorious day it was today, sunny with a blemish free blue sky. We walked into Lonsdale Street and ate ramen. Ramen with fried chicken, yum, yum. We had soft shell crab too, because we ordered when we were hungry, we should know by now not to do that. The soft shell crab was rubbish, tasteless.

We went to QV and shopped, mostly at Big W. I protested telling Sam that it was a non-allocated shopping day, as we shopped yesterday. Sam would have us shopping every day, if he could. I hate shopping. Sam wanted smoke alarms for the house. I’m not sure why he wanted them today? I don’t care about smoke alarms, I guess I should, but I just don’t. Kill me now. Smoke alarms, bored already. I got lost in the DVD section. I nearly bought Interview with a Vampire (it was $5) and a Katherine Hepburn box set, but at the last minute I decided that more movies on DVD I just didn’t need.

 

Then we spent the afternoon re-potting plants. I have a lot of indoor plants that I haven’t attended to for a while. (hang my head in shame) I bought bags of potting mix cheap at Bunnings yesterday. I have a glass-roofed atrium under which my indoor plants are dying on the very hot days. I put some unsuitable specimens in there, some time ago, temporarily and they have taken two steps forwards and one step backwards ever since. I googled what plants grow indoors in a sunny, hot position and it seems to be some herbs, and pelargoniums. So, we top dressed and rearranged the plants in the afternoon and moved some around in readiness for the 40 degree week we are apparently having next week.

I moved the lemon-scented pelargonium and the glorious multi-coloured pelargonium inside. I think it would be lovely to have flowering plants inside. I moved in the mint, the rosemary and the jade plant. I’ve been growing the lemon-scented pelargonium just for inside, I want the lemon scent to waft around inside.

I took away the spider plants, the begonia and the big umbrella tree, which burns in the very hot weather, before next week’s hot weather. They’ve gone for a well earned rest in the back garden.

It is nice to have a change. We don’t change our interiors nearly enough. I think even the slightest change can make things seem new and different. My atrium has been looking less jungle and more plant retirement home for some time now. I want to get back to the lush green look, not only does it look great, but it smells fresh and wonderful.

The sun shone down gloriously. I watered the back garden in the late afternoon when we had finished the re-potting. It is therapeutic to water.

Tomorrow, I have to go back to work. Yay!


No comments: