Monday, January 27, 2014

I Made Cake


I broke out the Kenwood and I made banana cake, it was too hot to do anything else, just something indoors. Besides, I had rotten bananas. Of course, there was the potential heat from the oven, but one has to be a little tougher than that, think Cake Making Guild. Tea and warm banana cake for breakfast, for Sam anyway. I ate it for morning and afternoon tea. We ate the lot, the whole cake, all of it, yum yum. I wonder why I'm getting fat? I found a recipe with many eggs and plenty of butter. You don't want some namby pamby tea cake that tastes as though it had a banana wafted in its general direction at some point. You want to taste it.

We headed out into the garden this morning, but even quite early it was getting hot. We drank tea under the macadamia tree. We're lucky that our garden is quite shaded with trees, all hanging over from the neighbour's yards. Other than that, we spent most of the weekend hiding inside from the heat. Lolling around. Wafting. Watering plants and cleaning and washing. Sounds grand, now doesn't it?

The light was crisp, the days sparkled, the air was thick with heat, all weekend. The house felt summery, still and bright. We swept the back yard and the front yard and messed about in the garden. And we slept a lot, dozed. Sometimes it is just nice to rest, you know. Lovely it was too.

That was my long weekend. The dizzy heights. No, it was nice, gentle. The beach would have been nice, but we both hate the heat, we're suited like that. Of course, if the sea was just across the road, that would be different. Still, with global warming, Fitzroy may one day be beach frontage.


No comments: