Saturday, January 11, 2014

Blood Tests And Then Coffee And A Muffin

I've just been to have my cholesterol and prostate blood tests. Oh, please don't let my cholesterol level be too high. Shudder.

I should have been healthier.
I should have done more exercise.

I stopped smoking again on Thursday, so that is a good start. I read in a magazine while I was waiting for the doctor that smoking increases cholesterol. I knew it didn't help, but I didn't realise it, actually, increased cholesterol.

I bought a new pair of running shoes, but I haven't been running... oh, I wish, walking. I've been sitting on my fat bum all week doing very little. I was so going to exercise while I was on holidays, but I haven't.

I haven't had my cholesterol tested for, um... er? I usually have it done every year and I keep saying that I missed my test last year, however I suspect that isn't, exactly, true. What I am saying is that I missed my test in 2012, as it is now, in fact, a new year. So, realistically, it means I haven't had it tested since 2011, which could, actually, shrug, kick the ground, mean not since 2010.

Oh, I don't know now. The years fly by and the time disappears and suddenly it is eons later. I still think I am 25, let's face it.

I used to go to the gay clinic in Fitzroy, which used to cost me $60 a visit. $70 a visit. It was going up in price all the time. And for that, I had great trouble seeing my doctor of choice, usually having to wait weeks to see him.

I went to that clinic for years, from the beginning of the old clinic in Carlton. My doctor used to take my blood. Then they had a nurse that used to take my blood, but still at the clinic. Then they stopped taking blood altogether and sent me to Dorevitch, or one of those pathology clinics and, of course, that was when I stopped having blood tests. I meant to go, I really did, but really, it was hard enough making a doctor's appointment, let alone turning the whole thing into a two-step process, first the doctor and then the blood clinic. And my blood tests ran off the rails...

Now I go to Doctor Johnny, who bulk bills and it doesn't cost me anything. I can usually make an appointment with in days of wanting to see him. I can always see him on Saturday, if need be. And today, he actually took my blood like a doctor, I didn't have to go and see somebody else. I just have to go and see him next Saturday for the bad... er... um... good news.

So, last time I had my cholesterol tested it was 7. But, as with my brother and sister, I have very high good cholesterol and 7 has never really been a problem. Cross my fingers.

No comments: