Monday, January 06, 2014

Can Smart People be Stupid?

Apparently, I have an IQ of 140. It was something that my private boy's school, Smithton Grammar, always got very excited about when it came to discussions about me. It actually translated into the fact that I was something of a problem for my teachers as I became a very good conduit of wickedness. The fact that I put my powers to evil stumped the men of my learning institution. Oh not real evil, no I left that to the Greek boys. Mostly it was just back chat, and more report cards often said that I could be a disruptive influence.

As an adult, I had an acquaintance who did something with lawyers and the training of them who used IQ tests for something, or other. He always wanted to test my IQ as, you know, it was his thing. I resisted for a while but eventually I did submit and my IQ did come out at 140. I was surprised and pleased, I don't think that I ever really believed it myself, not completely, it was just something teachers said.

My mother always said to me that she thought she had some sort of brain disconnect that made it impossible for her to learn the piano. And she struggled at university. She said it was very difficult for her in so much as she nearly didn't pass. But, she did pass her university qualification in the 1940s.

I struggled at university, it was always a great disappointment to me. Rather than it being the joyous time in my life, as so many people have come to say it was for them, I hated university. I found it an endurance test, one with which I struggled the entire time. After 10 years at a private school, I found myself to be very alone suddenly when I went to learn. I found it to be a hard and isolating. I found it rather unpleasant. It wasn't until I returned to study some years later to get an English qualification did I, actually, love it like I should have loved it the first time. Maybe, it was just the miserable business school?

I have never found my, supposed, high intelligence to be a benefit to me. I haven't, actually, excelled at anything. I can truthfully say that I have never felt good, well not so much good, as successful at anything.

Can smart people be stupid?

No comments: