Sunday, April 30, 2017

Boy's Gossip

I walked into town with Jackson Wag. I was heading to the RACV to get travel insurance and he was heading to the CBD also. He chats away. He knows all the gossip around the place so I get to catch up on all the latest from around our neighbourhood.


He told me that my arch nemesis Sweeney Brett, from over the back of our place, has cancer.


"Sweeney has cancer?"

I digested that piece of information quickly. Now, even I know, with my lack of filter that I shouldn't call out yippee. "Really?"

"He had prostate cancer initially, but now he has it in his spine."

"Oh," was all I can manage.

"They say it is, you know, contained, but they keep upping his pain medication, so I'm not sure how well he really is."

"How do you find this stuff out," I ask. "Do you ask Anna?" (Sweeney's wife)

"I play cards with Sweeney..."

"You play cards with Sweeney?" Now that was a piece of news that I wasn't expecting. He fraternises with the enemy.

"Every Friday night."

"Really?" I was looking at Jackson like he was a traitor. Well, I was trying not to look at Jackson as if he was a traitor.

"He's a smart guy..."

"I don't doubt that." Begrudgingly, I said that.

"He makes me laugh."

"I find that hard to believe." Sweeney, that old blowhard.

"If I ever question the rules," says Jackson. "He booms away with his objection."

That is the Sweeney I know and... um... er... loath.

"But I always challenge him with facts and knowledge and he backs down."

Oh, that booming, know it all, Canadian accent. I felt a chill up my spine.

 

No comments: