Sunday, July 09, 2023

Sunday

Late morning, we walk Bruno into the city to get haircuts and lunch. The rain has stopped, finally.

We don’t get further than Victoria Parade and we’re sheltering outside the Eye & Ear hospital on the granite, maybe faux, seats out the front under the newly renovate front of the hospital under shelter watching the fine sprinkle rain fall once again.

Bruno barks at a woman passing by, with think it is her umbrella to which he is taking exception.

It is a brief shower, fortunately, and the rain stops and we get going again.

Twenty minutes later, Bruno and I are waiting outside the The Paramount Centre while Sam gets the first haircut.

The city is quite busy with people. An older woman stops to ask me if Bruno was an English Bulldog. “Yes, he is,” I say.

She thanks me. It’s interesting the brevity of her enquiry, I think, but she is gracious with it.

There is a couple walking an Australian Shepherd. Neither Bruno, or the Australian Shepard are interested in each other.

I sit on the seat outside the Chemist Warehouse, which is next to The Paramount, which is, actually, a part of the Paramount complex, I see as I look up trying to find the words.

It isn’t that warm as you can well imagine, although not the dangerous storms that were potentially going to kill half the population of SA, NSW & Vic as predicted on the news services but, you know, who takes too much notice of the weather services now that sensationalism seems to be their main aim. All a grab for ratings, is what I think about it.

Suddenly, I realise that Bruno is eating something on the footpath next to me. It is pickles someone has dropped on the ground. You know those pickles in McDonald hamburgers that so many people hate, they have been tossed all over the footpath and Bruno is licking them up. So, I have to kick then into the gutter where he can’t get them. Seriously, people? Not that I think pickles will hurt him, but you just can’t let them eat stuff of unknown origin, now can you.

A family walks passed with two 12 year old’ish boys. One of them is a 12 year old boy walking along, the other is wearing a hair band, giving it zoosh, holding my gaze, practically doing jazz hands. 

Hey little gay guy, I think. Welcome. They could have been twins, the two boys. What a life he is going to have with his straight twin brother having his back, I think. Ten years time, you’d think being gay will have gotten even easier.

I have a haircut after Sam. He heads off and orders us food.

I head to the Nepalese restaurant, Momo Central, Bourke Street, after my haircut. The food arrives just as I do. We have Chow Mein with lamb, and curried Somoza Tarkari with chickpea curry and Momo Dumplings with curry sauce, The food is great, I’d recommend it.

12.50pm. The sun is out.

1pm. Lunch is done. (not sure why I have started writing times in my journal, but I have)

Sam wants to go to JB HiFi, something about giftcards on sale. Bruno and I wait outside TimHoWans as Sam does whatever he does with gift cards in JBHiFi. I lift Bruno up onto the decking, and he seems a little nervous about the wooden slats under his paws. All the people waiting in line for TimHoWan are then patting Bruno and asking me questions about him.

I head into JBHiFi after Sam comes out. There is a sale on, but I can’t find anything I want. So, I leave empty handed.

1.24pm. It is raining when I come out.

I head down the arcade to the toilet, which is closed for cleaning. When I come out again, I see the cleaners sitting on the seats in the arcade laughing and chatting. Seriously, I think.

We head home.

So many people in puffer jackets, that would be my observation for the day. One thing about puffer jackets is they sit nicely on the waist and they seem to give everyone who wears them a nice arse. The guys and the girls. Or, am I just looking at the sporty ones? Maybe.

We’re home a couple of hours after we left home.

Then it is couches and screens for the afternoon. Bruno cuddles up with whoever gets the big couch.


No comments: