Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Incompetence of the R.A.C.V.

R.A.C.V. vehicle inspections are not worth the paper they are printed on. Apparently, their mechanics are so easily fooled by car salesmen’s tricks that they can’t spot an oil leak when they see one.

“We can’t report on it if the car has been cleaned before we get there, said the manager of vehicle inspections.

If the car salesmen clean the oil leak before the R.A.C.V. mechanic gets there, it renders the R.A.C.V. mechanic incapable of seeing it.

“So you are admitting to incompetence?” I said. “Surely that is the job you have been paid to do?”

“If we can’t see it, we can’t tell you.”

“So you are telling me that used car salesmen’s smoke and mirrors get the better of you?”

“I don’t think you understand what I am saying?”

“On the contrary, I understand very well.”

I, literally, bought a car that I wouldn't have bought, certainly not without some repairs being done before I bought it, if it weren't for the R.A.C.V. giving the car the green light, telling me that it was free of faults that the car, actually, had.

The R.A.C.V.'s incompetence has cost me $2,200.00. Beware!


1 comment:

aumojo said...

Many many years ago I used the RACV to check on a couple of cars I was considering purchasing.

One they told me to avoid like the plague as it had been in a bad accident. I asked how they knew and the reply was "the drivers shit stains on the rear seat"... Enough said.

The second was due to major oil leaks, the car had been cleaned, but the inspector from the RACV that I spoke to suggested that they pressure tested the car for oil containment (or words to that effect, it was over 10 years ago now) and that a major leak had been detected.

Sorry to hear you had car issues, it sucks when the people you pay for their professionalism are anything but professional.