Monday, February 19, 2007

The Trouble With Josh

Mark's giving shit to Josh. Last Wednesday, when Mark made one of his rare visits to the city to buy a new car, he and Josh were alone in the lounge room in Fitzroy.

How's the new job going? asks Mark, sounding friendly and interested.

New job? I don't have a new job?

Aren't you working? asks Mark, feigning surprise.

No, I'm not working, says Josh.

So, what are you doing with yourself? asks Mark, curiously.

Oh, laying around the house, watching TV, says Josh. I'm sure he was being smart, with that answer. You know, stamping some authority,

Well, why don't you get off your arse and clean the house then? says Mark, pointedly.

Mark doesn't like Josh, he thinks he is a user. Josh has been staying at my place since mid December and, in all reality, he hasn't contributed any thing. Mostly, he has borrowed money from me to survive.

Last weekend, when I arrived home on Sunday night, he said my bike had a fat tyre and I'd have to get it fixed. I thought about that for a couple of days, you see, Josh is really self-focused, he wouldn't just notice the tyre on my bike went flat. He wouldn't see it unless it directly involved him.

My bike tyre, I bought up with Josh. How did it go flat?

How do these things ever happen, said Josh. A nail, some glass. Who knows?

Who was the last person to ride my bike? I asked plainly. Before the tyre went flat?

Okay, he replied defensively. I'll get it fixed, if that's what your trying to say?

I didn't tell Mark this.

Josh's response to cleaning the house question, was to leave the room.

When Josh answered the phone to Mark, yesterday, Mark asked how the house cleaning was going?

Is there something you want? was Josh's reply.

A couple of my friends have commented that they felt Josh had allowed them to believe that he was me on the phone when they called. He has allowed the conversation to proceed passed what would be normal in such situations. Julien said he was kind of creeped out by it, that he felt more creeped out by it the more he thought about it, like he had been violated. Of course Julien relayed this info onto Mark.

The tyre on my bike is still flat.


1 comment:

aumojo said...

Sounds a little "Single White Female" if you ask me...

But you didn't, but that's my 2 cents anyway ;)