Saturday, May 03, 2008

Coming Out

The stones of the car park crunched under Jimmy's feet. They both have to wear tuxeedos, Warren's mother had insisted.

"He your dyate to cousin Nika's wedding... or what?"

"Yes, Ma," said Warren.

"Well!" She threw her hands in the air. "I no want the family to thyink us poor. Wear the tuxedo, for your mother." She grabbed Warren by both sides of the face and kissed him on the lips. "You, luv your mother."

"He's my b..."

"I know, I know." She put her hand up to his mouth. "How many times do you have to tell me."

"Well, ma." Warren could hear his voice whine like he did as a kid.

She pulled him towards her and she whispered. "You no have to tell so many people at Nika's wedding... about you and... it okay, if it what you want. Not your fault, you can't change it. But, in family." She put her finger to her lip. "okay..."

"No ma."

She hugged him tight. "Be good boy."

They parked at the back of the car park on purpose.

Jimmy kissed Warren passionately. Warren's stubble was prickly on Jimmy's lip. Strong, hard mouth kissed him back. Wog boys, you gotta love them, thought Jimmy.

Warren slid his arm through Jimmy's. "Let's go."

They hadn't gone to the ceremony, Warren's mother raised her eyebrows and Warren decided not to push it.

"You come to the reception," she said. "Not in god's house, though." She crossed herself.

It was at the golf club. All the families had done well, now they all outdid each other at weddings. Warren and Jimmy stood in front of the main entrance - white, Victorian, Italianate. Sparse gardens. Marble stairs. A cool breeze blew. They were out of the shade and cover of the one hundred year old oaks. There was a band inside the house.

"What do your lebo uncles think of the number 1 male heir being gay?"

"You're about to find out," said Warren, as he headed up the stairs. He looked back, smiling lovingly. Grand French doors over looking the eighteenth hole.

The room was a giant glass house. The tables were formal, white cloths, red napkins. A dance floor in the middle, with tables around it. There was a water feature in the corner and terrace outside, beyond the rear french doors,

They were being announced. They waited their turn, in the queue.

"They say I'm a filthy homo, but they say, secretly, that all men are poofters," said Warren. "Uncle Tito went to jail for five years for drug dealing. So have a few others." Warren made, subtle, cock sucking head movements. "What were they supposed to do for five years, was what all my uncles said."

"They all knew?" asked Jimmy.

"They all talked openly about it, with just the guys, and beer," said Warren. "See if you can guess, afterwards, which uncle diddled me as a fourteen year old?"

The couple in front of them stepped away and they were at the head of the queue.

"Warren Green and Jimmy Westbro," were announced.

Jimmy smiled at Warren, he looked pleased. "Nice touch," he whispered.

Everyone clapped and the two entered the room. They headed straight to the bar.

"It's the aunties who say I'm heading to hell for living outside god's law," said Warren. "They are praying for me."

"What about me?" said Jimmy. "Aren't they praying for me? Aren't I just as much at risk of." He pointed downwards.

"Two beers." Warren laughed. "You are Satan, my friend. You came along and lead me down the path of unrighteousness. The favourite son."

"I did not," said Jimmy. "You did. It was the other way around..."

"Well, unless you are planning to go tell them," said Warren. "My aunties don't know that."

The barman put the two glasses down in front of them.

"Well maybe I should just..."

Warren handed Jimmy a glass of beer.

"They want you to burn in hell, my friend," said Warren. "They want me saved."

Jimmy exhaled strongly through his nose. The two surveyed the room, side by side.

"When are you going to tell your parents?" Warren asked.

They stood by the dance floor. "Shall we dance?" said Jimmy.

They were silent. They both surveyed the room. Muscular, well-groomed young men. Mixed race, in this setting.

"They're all looking at you, now," said Warren. "Thinking poofter. Can you feel it?"

Jimmy shook visibly. "Don't say that, not now, not here."

"I'm kidding," said Warren. "They don't know. Just mum and dad."

The band started a waltz.

"But, I'm not afraid," said Warren.

"I don't believe you," said Jimmy. "We're all afraid."

Two couples ventured onto the dance floor. "Come on," said Warren.

Warren grabbed Jimmy by the hands.

"Hey," said Jimmy. "What?..."

"You be." Warren laughed," the girl. Follow me, I leant this shit, as a kid."

Warren lead Jimmy in a waltz, right into the middle of the dance floor.

"I don't believe you, sometimes," said Jimmy.

"I told you I wasn't afraid."

Warren could see his mother and father standing, looking grim-faced, beside the dance floor, as he spun in three four time.

 

No comments: