Monday, May 12, 2008

Riding in Trams


How many of us had parent(s) who said they couldn't ride backwards in, in this instance, trams?
"Oh no, I can't ride with my back to the front, I'll get giddy, or vomit, or have a break down, or...” what exactly?

What exactly did happen to those poor folk who had to ride with their backs to the engine? Nothing. Nothing at all. Somewhere, way back, some idiot got the idea that it was bad for them, after which they claimed the vapours if they did. And then, of course, they passed it onto their kids, like all good parents do. I say that kids heard their parents say it and then they have just accepted it for themselves and have claimed the same thing.

A woman got on the tram this morning and, as it turned out, there were no seats vacant facing forwards. So she stood and waited. When a forward facing seat become available, she, nearly, pushed people out of the way to get.

I nearly laughed at her, as her expression said that she thought she had really achieved something, but as her seat was the one facing me, I didn’t. Maybe I smirked a bit.

No comments: