Thursday, May 31, 2012

Watch the Chillies in the Basil Chicken

My shopping hasn’t been exactly thorough lately, despite the daily trip to the supermarket, as that is, usually, for dinner. The “staples” shopping that I would normally do when I am on my own, seems to have fallen somewhat by the wayside.

I’m not quite used to this constant companion, as I have had since Sam finished work. Funny, I only seem to be getting my head around the “we” things and not the “I” things. I have to say, I do like some alone think time to organise myself. OM!

I forgot to pay bills and paid them late. I forgot to pay my mobile phone bill altogether.

I got up and I mixed the remains of the muesli with the berry yogurt, as I am now out of muesli. I prepared a bowl of just yogurt for Sam. I made coffee and got our laptops out for each of us.

It’s nice though, don’t get me wrong.


I managed to finish off five days worth of journal writing for my blog. I was happy in the warmth of the lounge room, hunched over my laptop, the day was sliding away. Isn’t that what you do on your day off? Let it all slide away? I’m sure it was once? I felt so shielded, cocooned, if you like. Fire, thicks socks, ah life is good. I'm a man of simple needs.

Slide away day, I don't care.

Sam made a comment on the fact that I hadn’t cleaned up the kitchen yet, from last night, then he disappeared.

I vaguely heard doors opening and closing and I vaguely heard the water running, but I was fully tuned into my journal, to my writing and I didn’t really take it all in.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Sam appeared back, in what seemed like, a short time late, all sirens blaring, shinny and clean and clearly ready to head out the door.

“Yes, honey?”

“See you mate. See you mate.”

“What? What are you talking about?”

“I’m going out for lunch, see you mate.”

“You didn’t say anything about going out to eat?”

“What do you think I have been doing?”

“You only said that I hadn’t cleaned the kitchen.”

“I’m hungry!” Big eyes. See you mate.”

Now, you see, the one thing that you don’t want to interfere with is his food. “Do not get between me and my food,” he has said on many occasions.

“Wait, wait, wait, I’ll have a shower and be ready. Why didn’t you say so?”

There I was sitting in track pants and hoodie barefoot stinking like yesterday. Pleading face.

“Move your arse!”

The one skill that I do have is showering quick. I can literally be ready in 5 minutes.


We ate Thai at Yim Yam. I had green curry, Sam had Basil Chicken. I might suggest to you that you watch the chillies in the basil chicken, if you have it. There were a mountain of chillies on the side of his plate when he was done and he likes it spicy.

I wanted a muffin after lunch, you know, something sweet, but Sam told me it was fat food that I didn’t need. We walked up Smith Street the Sunny and ended up buying two muffins. Well, Sam asked for a choc chip and white chocolate and raspberry muffin, which is, actually, two muffins and when the lady behind the counter looked confused, I jumped in and said we'd have both. I said yes and the lady behind the counter winked and put them both in bags before Sam caught on. Ha, ha. Yum yum!

We topped up the ingredients in the cupboard to make baked potatoes again tonight – sour cream, mushrooms and leeks. As we headed home, I said we must do some exercise. I held up the muffin, despite it being my idea to purchase it. It is still cake, no matter how muffins are sold as a healthy alternative.

We drank tea and ate half a muffin before we left for a walk. I had the raspberry and white chocolate and Sam had chocolate.

Then we went for a walk up Gertrude Street, down Swantson Street, down Elgin Street, up my street. The sun was gorgeous in Gertrude Street as we left, as we walked west into it.

It was a lovely day, actually. Sunny. It was nice to be out in it. It was lovely getting the blood pumping and the limbs moving.

We drank tea and ate the other half of our muffins when we got back. Yum, yum.

We watched Millionaire Hot Seat. Sam thinks I should go on it, as I have good general knowledge. But, I don’t know sport and I don’t really know science questions, although I know a little of each.

We cooked baked potatoes, while Friends was on. Leek and mushroom and bacon and beetroot and corn and pineapple and sour cream.

We watched Masterchef. I liked TJ, but she got booted off.


The doorbell rang. I turned to Sam. “I wonder if that is Sebastian, here for Shane? It is Thursday night and I’m not expecting anyone. I hate it when Shane does that.”

I opened the door to Sebastian. “Hi luv.”

Then, thinking about it, Shane does that every time Sebastian comes over. Every time, I am sure. It was 19.30 and Shane isn’t often that late home, and yet, he always seems to be “this” late home when Sebastian comes over.

What would be the obvious conclusion?

The obvious conclusion is that it is deliberate. It is a pathetic cry for attention. Look at me, look at me. It is a sad attempt to show Sebastian how busy he is. It is a pitiful try to show us how important and what an executive he really is.

Too mean?

Quite possibly? But, I am sure, it is a sad attempt to alleviate his inferiority complex and his sense of being a lesser human being. 


No comments: