Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Real Work



I was working in Airport West at a company called… oh, I’m not sure what it was called. It was given to me by (my company) on my conformation of assignment as a completely different name.
It was a cold and windy morning and 00 Y Street Airport West was bleak as I pulled up at 8.40am and parked in front of the old, cheap factory facades that had all seen better days. Actually, I’m not sure if they had seen better days, truthfully. At least 00 looked like the nicest building in the street. Not that I need to work in the nicest building in the street, old and daggy does me just as well, but on a cold blustery day it is comforting.
So with a straight back and a smile in I went, to a company that had a completely different name on the façade, but no biggie, that’s how it goes sometimes.
A, the girl I was to work with, was late to work, caught up in the ring road traffic, so I was ushered through the smelling-like-new-paint offices to the bare lunchroom.
I wondered what A was like, as I drank my brewed coffee and read yesterdays Herald Sun? All the surfaces were grey laminex and looked as though they had been recently sponged down.
A duly arrived and she wasn’t the tweed skirt and twin set type, in fact she was young and glamorous. We both got coffee.
As I sat next to her all morning, I realised she looked like a young Julia Roberts, not only did she look like Julia Roberts, she was very like her… with a hint of the blond girl from 2 broke girls. She was lovely.
And it was a normal company, with procedures and methods and someone who knew how everything worked, you know, like a real office. It made all the difference, it made me feel like I knew what I was doing and that I was good at something, after the nightmare that was (the not for profit company) yesterday. It makes me feel like I am good at what I do.
Does that make sense?

I picked up Sam at his place after work. Like real boyfriends
We went to the supermarket and bought bacon and mushrooms for risotto. $10 tonight for risotto ingredients of mushrooms and bacon and fruit. $13 last night, for spaghetti, tomatoes and meatballs, and fruit. You know, maybe it is cheaper to eat at home, I’ve been keeping a mental tally just lately. It is amazing how you can watch your dollars when suddenly you don’t have so many of them.

No comments: