Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Not a Job Interview

Oh my it is raining, makes you not want to leave the house, really. But, when you are unemployed and the cleaner comes, what choice do you have, I ask you?

Sam and I are still a bit plain, lying in bed listening to the sounds of the morning. Sam asked when Guadalupe was going to arrive? I glanced at the clock, it was 10.30. I crept over to the door and opened it a crack to see if I could here the sound of the vacuum, I couldn’t. I crept down the stairs and poked my head around the wall into the atrium. There were plastic buckets and mops, clearly Guadalupe was here. Got to get the hell out of the house, I thought, as I scurried back up the stairs to Sam.

I gave Guadalupe some of the crème Easter eggs. She seemed really pleased to receive them. Maybe she has never eaten one.
Sam and I went Lygon Street and ate Malaysian. Sam is still hobbling, poor old man. We both ate Nasi Lemack curried chicken, I think, one of my favourite dishes. The raindrops fell, and not just on the outside either.
We went to Sam’s house, escaped. We watched TV and entertained ourselves on our laptops next to each other, leaning with our backs against the leather couch as the day floated away.

We picked all of the mandarins off Sam’s laden mandarin tree in between the raindrops. It was covered in fruit for the first time, dark green and brilliant orange. We ended up with five supermarket plastic bags worth.

Jack called. I ignored him. Oh fuck it, I thought, as I looked at the screen. Work can wait.
Jack called again. I answered. Stupid, really, what was I thinking. He had some job in St Kilda Road he wanted to put me up for. 
“Sure,” I said.
“You always say sure,” said Jack. “I like that about you.”
He called back a bit later. I ignored him. What if he wanted me to go to an interview tomorrow? I so don’t want to go for an interview tomorrow.
We headed back to my place around 10pm. When I got home there was a message from Jack on my home phone. “They want to see you tomorrow.”
Sharp inhale of breath. Really?

No comments: