Thursday, February 07, 2013

And Then They Were Gone

Sam woke me up before 8am, asking me if I wanted “pink tongue” in bed with me this morning.

I said yes. Then I pulled the doona over my head. Sam pulled it off again, he doesn’t like the idea of me smothered in side a doona. He got in the shower and I pulled the doona over my head again. I have my legs and arms out and my head covered, it is how I used to sleep when I was younger and now I am returning to it, returning to the womb.

The doona was pulled off again by a naked Sam just out of the shower. He asked me if I wanted “pink tongue” again, as he pulled on his clothes. Then he was gone again.

Pink tongue is one of our nicknames for Buddy, because of the habit of bulldogs hanging their tongues out of their mouths and not some sort of oral sex routine.

It was already heating up outside, I could feel it. It is forecast to be 32 degrees today. I had to give in and admit that I was awake, so I got out of bed. The next moment, Sam came through the door, “Pink Tongue for your enjoyment.” Buddy followed with his tongue poking out of his mouth.

Buddy and I headed back downstairs and went out onto the footpath and waved good bye to Sam and pissed on the fence. Actually, I pissed on the fence, as Buddy waved his paw.


One day to go, I thought, as I sipped on my coffee and push the on button on my laptop. I'm hearing a lot of sticky tape being used and the front door opening and closing a lot. Ah, the sounds of packing.


Christian 11:04 AM – Good morning M

Mark 11:04 AM – mornin chriso, how is you. im off to the cuntrysie today with L, for tet

Christian 11:06 AM – I'm lovely, it is 30 degrees and there is a cool breeze blowing in the back doors

11:08 AM – tet? What's tet?

Mark 11:11 AM – ooohhh nice... bweezes... lunar new year silly... should be interesting weaving our way through the swarming throngs of bissy cley ferrying their 8ft high potted cumquat and blossom trees, completely covered in folliage... it's very surreal to see thousand of trees zooming down the road

Christian 11:12 AM – oh do be careful

11:12 AM – Tell L I will get him if anything happens to you

Mark 11:13 AM – we’ll be fine it all only moves at about 40 ks an hour... Ill probably sleep through most of it

Christian 11:14 AM – sleep?

Mark 11:14 AM – yeah well maybe not… it’s too much of a spectacle to miss

11:16 AM – hab to go and hab a shower now... I NEED a latte

11:16 AM – hab to go and hab a shower now... I NEED a latte NOW

11:20 AM – have a nice breezy day... you must get bored just sitting around surely... there is a big world out there chriso, and your missing it all... what are you going to tell young people when you are old and dying, when they ask you what did you do in your life,

11:20 AM – " I sat on a couch"

Christian 11:24 AM – Nobody is going to be interested


The sun was shining and the day was beckoning. I could sit at the coffee table with my laptop, as I do every day, or I could head outside, like Mark suggested. I’m wasting my life? Maybe? Just a bit? Am I? … fuck it! I switched off my computer and got the dog lead from the dog lead draw.

Buddy jumped up, of course, with instant enthusiasm.


Christian 1:24 PM – I was backing out to go to the dog park and first of all I had to get the builders to move their trailer from my roller door. They were smart, knowingly, or unknowingly, when they sent out the very cute 20 year old tradie in overalls, with floppy hair and a gorgeous smile, who was amazingly polite.

Mark 1:28 PM – there is hope

Christian 1:29 PM – Then there was a van at the other end of the lane, so I tooted and tooted, until a guy came out from establishment X and asked me if everything was all right. "Does it look as though it is alright," I snapped back and he looked discouraged and disappeared again.

1:30 PM – Then a delivery man walked up the lane to the pub gate, "I think you will find that that van is hear for the house next door... pointing to my house.

1:30 PM – Oh, I thought. Oops.

1:31 PM – It was "the travellers", I presume, final shipment overseas. Oops, again.

Sebastian arrived in the afternoon sometime. He made some comment asking what Tulli and Shane had actually been doing?

“They have had how long to do all of this?”

I asked Sebastian where Dante was? Dante had said to me that he was taking the whole day off and would be over early.

“Their plane doesn’t leave until 10.30pm.”

“Oh, I don’t care,” said Dante, “I am taking the whole day off anyway.”

“I think it is a case of disco fever,” said Sebastian. “Dante spent the whole weekend awake and now he has a cold.”

“Really?” I said. “He seemed quite definite that he’d be here when I spoke to him last.”

“Even on Tuesday night, when we had a final dinner for Shane and Tulli,” said Sebastian. “Dante rang and cancelled saying he was sick.”

There was a final dinner on Tuesday night for Shane and Tulli, I thought? (I don't always get invited to things, I'm not really sure why)

Sebastian and Shane went through the kitchen and Shane gave Sebastian what he wanted; pepper grinders, of varying sorts, etc. I don’t really know why Sebastian wanted all that stuff, but he did, as he made a point of wanting the small grinder. Oh whatever, who cares. I think it started off by giving Sebastian all of Shane’s gluten free food, I guess, there is camaraderie in shared defects.

Sebastian ended up with two “green” bags of stuff. You’d think that Shane would leave the “used” stuff behind for the people he has lived with to use, but apparently not.

It probably saved me throwing it all out. The salt block, for instance, never used present from Sebastian, which Sebastian took, thankfully, as it was heavy and would have weighed down the rubbish when I tossed it out.

I got the coffee grinder and the Kenwood, which is all I really wanted. I also got the TV and the hard drive and DVD player, which are the only things I really wanted.

There are numerous things Shane left behind, promising me that various people will come and collect them. We’ll see.

The rubbish bins are full to over flowing, literally. I don’t know what I am going to do with the rubbish now until Tuesday. It is a good thing I am good with distributing the rubbish, come rubbish day, in various neighbours’ bins.

Around about 6pm, Shane said that he and Tulli and Sebastian were heading out for a final meal – again, Sam and I weren’t invited – after which they would be back to pack the bags into Sebastian’s car and head to the airport. So, Sam, and I, went to the supermarket to get dinner, schnitzels, coleslaw – made for the first time by us, from cabbage Shane had bought and was allowing to, yet again, turn into a science experiment in the fridge – and broccolini, again thanks to Shane’s general wastage when it comes to food. Sam is always shaking his head and commenting on how much money Shane wastes, primarily with food, but not just with food.

I had to go to the chemist to get my stomach pills, which I had been out of for a week. We also got saline for Buddy’s eyes and a new bottle of Olive Leaf Extract. Apparently, the chemist’s computers were down, so they asked us to come back in ten minutes, so we went to the supermarket and then returned to the chemist. As I was paying for my goods, my phone rang but it wasn’t a number that I recognised, so I didn’t answer it. As we walked along Smith Street towards home, I said to Sam,

“Shane changed his mobile number, because his old mobile phone was his work phone. He sent me his new number, but I couldn’t seem to save it into my phone numbers, for some reason. I wonder if that was him?”

My phone beeped that a voicemail message had been left.

“There, listen to the message.”

“We haven’t been that long, have we?”

“No, not really.”

“It doesn’t seem like long enough to have eaten dinner.”

The message was from Shane. I have all my bags in the car and am about to leave, I guess that means I am not going to be able to say good bye. I value your friendships so much and I have loved living with you…”

I wondered if that was really true, that is what I thought.

“It was Shane,” I said to Sam. “Saying good bye. Oh well.”

It was a lovely sunny day and it was nice meandering along with our shopping.

“Come on, let’s walk up Condell Street to see if we can see them coming along.”

As we walked the last block to home, I could see the green Honda in the laneway next to the house. “Come on, they are still there, let’s run.”

Sam didn’t seem to be keen on running, so I ran ahead.

“Good bye.” I hugged Shane. “Have fun in London, as I know you will.”

Shane repeated his declaration of friendship and how much he enjoyed living with me.

Tulli thanked me for letting him stay.

“You are welcome,” I said.

Sam caught up and said his good byes.

Then they got into Sebastian’s car and they were gone.


No comments: