Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sunny Saturday

It's hot again today. Sunny and hot. The sun is burning me, as me as I step into it. The air is hot The day is hot. It is a case of too much cake, now. We've had perfect and now I want something else. A change. Relief. When is autumn? When do we get the leaves falling gently to the ground in the cool breeze? When will we feel rain? Please let it be soon.

It is quite nice really, 30 degrees. It is especially nice sitting in front of the fan, on the couch. It would be so nice if there was a beach, just over there. You know, across the road. Or a lake. Or a river.

I got up, pulled myself away from the fan and swept the back yard. Even though it is shaded by a tree, I was sweating by the end of it. I thought it was the least I could do, as Nicholas and Tim are coming over, with Mary... ? Their new best friend. WTF? Every where they go... It is all I've done. Swept the yard. I've bought nothing and yet they'll be here in fifteen minutes.

I went to the Milk Bar and bought three bottles of Agrum, dodging the slow walking tourists in Gertrude Street. So much foot traffic, now a days. Oh oo ah! Yes, yes, lovely isn't it. Can I get past? Go home. I can't wait for us to be, "Soo yesterday." And we can get back to just the locals.

I filled the pond, it has been empty for some time. I've been thinking, who cares? It has been the name of my maintenance program. But, Nicholas is the only person who would notice, so it was a respect issue. Ha, ha. But if someone is going to notice, you've just got to milk it, a little. The world is so short on gold elephant stamps now a days, don't you think?

Nicholas made his joke about duckweed, he always makes a joke about duckweed. When we lived together, I came home and he told me he'd got this new weed for the pond, "It is great!" It was duckweed. It took me years to get rid of it, after it took over the pond... as I predicted, after he told me what he'd done.

"Oh." Sharp intake of air. "You've already put it in, you say?" Wince.

We ate pizza and drank vodka mules.

No comments: