Thursday, February 14, 2013

Guido Just Dropped In?

I did the jigsaw in the afternoon. It was lovely, as a cool late afternoon breeze blew in the back doors.

Sam and I took Buddy for a big walk. Sam is much more interested in walks than the dog park, as he reckons at the dog park, he and I just stand in one place, or worse still, sit.

“Come on, fat boy, move,” is the thing Sam says to me mostly these days.

As we walked across the oval at the base of the commission flats, I confessed to the pot, he gave me the in.

“What is wrong with you,” asked Sam. “You seem way too…” He shrugged. “Relaxed.”

That was my moment, it was here right now, I couldn’t let it pass. “And what produces that kind of relaxation in me… huh?”

“I was…” oh… “Going to ask if you…”

“What?” I was imploring him to go there, so I didn’t have to confess.

“You got mari?”

Bingo. “Yes.”

“What? I wasn’t thinking that at all…” Sam seemed more concerned that he’d missed the signs, than any subterfuge by me. “I didn’t smell it in the house.”

“I guess I had the back doors open all day.”

“But usually I…”

“And I hid the ash tray.” I laughed. “Not so much hid it, as emptied it.” I gave him my cheekiest smile.

“Really.”

“Guido came to visit, what was I to do?”

He gave me a look. “Guido just came to visit?”

“Yes, this afternoon, he was passing through Fitzroy.”

He held my gaze. He didn’t believe me. All I had to do was not flinch, and I’d pull it off. My face remained expressionless.

“And you are very proud of yourself,” said Sam. “Look at you.”

“What do you mean?”

“Stop smiling.”

I waited out side the supermarket, as Sam went in and bought noodles. It was cool standing under the shade of the big Plain Trees.

We had stir fry noodles for dinner.


Sam went to bed at 10pm. I hope I’m not turning into a bad boyfriend and I just don’t know it, is what I thought, as I wished him good night.


I spoke with Mark. He’s opened the restaurant for just coffee and drinks, before the 5 days of Tet holidays that had planned is over. Cutey boy Houng has come in to help, he was bored at home. So Mark and his (new) boyfriend are working the joint together.

“I want to come up one night and sleep with you and Luke,” apparently, Huong's sweet innocent face said one day when they were working together. Affection between men isn’t frowned upon, and a lot of the time this just simply means to sleep.

Even if he knows Mark and Luke are gay? He could be in for a startling surprise.


I fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 4am, lights on, doors open, everything.

“Oh.” I sat up. Some sport is on. What time is it? “Ah.” It is 4.10. “Oh.” Not 4am again? Pot is such fun, ay? Why do I keep buying it? It is a sedative. Why do I want to be sedated? I don’t know? I half thought I’d have some here for Nicholas on Saturday night. That was my weak justification. You know, like a good little co-addict, I want to share the love, seemingly it makes no difference to me that Nicholas has quit the hooch, for some time now.


Shane sends me one of the “Keep Calm” series, with a picture of Alexander Skarsgard, “Now what was I saying.”

Looking at Alexander Skarsgard, and keeping calm? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?


No comments: