Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Gentle, Lazy Days

This is in the environment that they tell me where prospective renters are lined up around the corner for any rental property you may care to point out.

I ate muesli with peaches. I ate TimTams. I ate jam toast. OMG, with the right jam/butter ratio, jam toast can taste just like a donut. These munchies, I just can’t get them under control. If I keep smoking, I’ll end up 40 kilos over weight, before I know it.

Sam went to bed at 10.30pm.

I started watching Craig Fergusson and then switched over to Dave Letterman, all the time thinking it was funny that we get Craig before Dave, not that they would be the same shows from the same night. But, would there be anywhere that the late, late show comes on before the late show.


Well, that was the last thing I remember, Dave doing his introduction.

My eyes opened a crack to see the bulldog laying out quite comfortable on the other couch. The next thing I felt was my t-shirt all wet around my neck from sweat. I looked at the clock to see it was 4am.

Damn!

I gathered all my stuff together in my half asleep, stoned, unsteady feet and headed up to bed.

I slipped in next to Sam. “I see,” said a small voice in the dark.

“I fell asleep on the couch…”

“Shhh.”


I woke up at 10.30am, lovely. The sun was shining, the sky was blue. The kitchen was a disaster zone. I brewed coffee and unstacked the dishwasher, as the coffee cooked, because, of course, I am the only one who puts the clean dishes away. Boil, boil, boil. Dirty dishes hidden away in the machine, muesli prepared, laptop out.

Shane and Tulli seem to be in parts unknown.

Jill text to say she was going to the dentist at 11.15, and that she’d swing by afterwards for lunch. It was 11.45 by the time I replied, lovely, sounds good. 

I looked at my laptop and then my mobile back at the message I had just sent. I can’t sit down, I must go and have a shower and be like a real person. I mustn’t make the excuse of needing a shower when she gets here, it is just a little rude, really. 

So, I jumped in the shower and jumped out. I was clean and dressed at 12.15 when she replied.

Jill is still keen to renovate my house. She rang the builder while she was here to hear if he was still coming this week. We’ll see what he quotes.

We sat outside of Arcadia in the cool breezes of Smith Street and ate chicken on rye and drank pineapple and apple and mint juice and coffee. Not a care in the world, no jobs to go to.

It was a lovely, sunny day.


I went to the tattsLotto shop and did a quick pick for OzLotto. It wasn’t until I was walking out, that I realised there was no jackpot this week. Damn!

Then there was just enough time for an arvo nap, with Randy Crawford singing.


No comments: