Friday, January 12, 2018

I’m Not an Atheist

I’m not an atheist, although I won’t be offended if you call me one. I will accept it, but here is why I might not like the label.

I got thinking about it with all the religious opposition to gay marriage. And when I see the tall Somalian Jesus man sprouting on fervently in the dog park, seemingly always to a young Somalin boy who was too young to defend himself against such talk. And I think about it when I see the buttoned up middle aged conservatives staking out the corner near the commission flats, in my mind, picking on the vulnerable and the less educated.

Just because I don’t believe in your super natural stories about a supreme being, it doesn’t mean I have to be labelled, which buys into the religious paradigm just by its very nature. Giving me a label is just justifying your religious beliefs, in a sense, which I think are absurd.

It’s called not buying into it, I guess. You know, when you debate somebody, it is legitimising the other person’s argument by you simply mounting a defence.

I believe in reality, the here and now. I believe in human beings. I believe in the real world.

There are five thousand supposed God’s, that is how ridiculous the god story is. Why is your god the real god? Who says? As Joseph Campbell so famously said, (I’m paraphrasing) “There are many gods, just pick one, they all do the same thing.”

If I am really honest, to put it bluntly, I find religious belief delusional. I look at people sprouting on about Jesus loves you, and God is the supreme being, live your life according to a 2000 year old book, and I just hear blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah….

It’s just thoughts, as I said. Sorting thoughts. What do I think? I don’t want to buy into the religious narrative, as I find that narrative ridiculous. So don’t try and drag me in by giving me a label that best fits your beliefs.

The usual disclaimer applies. I’m not trying to tell you what to believe in, believe in whatever you like, the great sky fairy, jesussmesus, the great gobbling turkey, you know, whatever makes you happy, whatever flats Noah's boat. I am just telling you what I believe.


No comments: