Monday, January 15, 2018

I'm Vacuuming the Pond

I'm vacuuming the pond. Yes, you read it right. That is not a sentence I thought I'd ever write. Sam bought a pond vacuum, one of the many mystery packages that arrive here daily from his online shopping habit. And now I'm hoovering up the fish shit. Headphones on, Frank Ocean, somehow he seemed appropriate, playing in my ears. The day is warm, there is a slight breeze. It's not a bad way to spend the afternoon.

The vacuum works on water pressure, you attach the hose to the nozzle and the flow of water sucks the crap into the crap catcher. As the big, fat gold fish seem to love fresh water, they follow the nozzle about, it's kind of cool. I feel like the pied piper of fish.

The afternoon sparkled, it really did. A couple of times when I went inside to get something, as I returned – if I said that it took my breath away I'd be over stating it – I noticed how bright and sparkling the sunshine was shining down into my back yard, dancing across every leaf surface, like thousands of simmering, tiny mirrors.



The vacuum is slow, though. I feel like a council worker – as I stand there slowly pushing the vacuum nozzle backwards and forwards – sweeping with his broom swish, swish. Back of my hand across my forehead. Adjusting the handkerchief with is four corners tied in knots stretched across my head. Hands and chin resting on the tip of my broom handle. Slowly, slowly catchee the monkey/fish shit.

Then when I think I must have filled up the pooh catcher, I pull it from the water, and it stretches down like a giant scrotum, errrRRRRrrrrr, and I feel the flush of success, that is until all the water seeps from the ball sack and after all that time I have stood there with my back aching slowly from standing in one spot, I have sucked up a (small) clenched fist worth of shit from the pond floor. And what I feel is a little disappointment and lot a discouragement, as there is so much muck to clean up, and so little time, if that is how long it is going to take, and I chastise myself for the years of neglect that I have put in.


No comments: